A park dedication in honour of a Fleetwood-area pioneer takes place Saturday.
Organizers are planning a Picnic in the Park event behind the Fleetwood Recreation Centre to honour Edith Francis, sister of Arthur (Thomas) Fleetwood, the namesake of the community.
The park will be named Francis Park.
In 1907, James and Edith Francis homesteaded on what would become Francis Road, later 159 Street.
The Fleetwoods, including brother Thomas Fleetwood, joined them later in the area around Yale Road (now Fraser Highway) and Pike Road (now 160 Street).
Fleetwood joined the Canadian military in the First World War and died of battle wounds as a lance corporal in France in September 1917.
Upset with her loss, Edith Francis applied to the provincial government for a charter to name the community after her brother.
Francis was also one of the founding members of the Fleetwood Community Association, which was formed in 1923.
The Fleetwood Community Centre and library (located at 15996 84 Ave.) were opened in 1995.
The Francis Park event takes place June 11 from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The public is invited for a barbecue and entertainment. The park’s dedication will take place at 1:30 p.m.