SURREY – Surrey RCMP’s top cop is sticking to his guns over his decision to release to the public the names and photos of gunfire victims related to a series of shootings in Surrey and North Delta since the beginning of March.
Concern was raised last week that the Surrey RCMP might be vulnerable to a lawsuit for doing so.
At a Surrey Board of Trade luncheon Friday (April 24), where Fordy was guest speaker, the police chief was roundly applauded for his stand.
"I am the person completely responsible for the release of that information," he told the audience. "I assume all criticism that might go with that release. I made that decision based on my desire to advance the investigation."
Fordy said he knew his decision came with some risk. "I expected criticism," he said. "I anticipate more criticism.
"I believe it was the right decision.
I would do it again," he said to much hand clapping.
The names and photos were released during two RCMP press conferences in past weeks where Mounties expressed concerns the individuals were not cooperating with investigators. Police believe many of the recent shootings are related to a drug turf battle between groups of Somalian and South Asian decent.