Grieving family of Surrey domestic assault victim Narinder Kalsi further beset by string of break-ins

SURREY – A Surrey family grieving the violent death of their mother has been further victimized by a string of property crimes.

 

Narinder Kaur Kalsi died in hospital several days after an alleged assault during a domestic dispute on July 13.

 

Her husband, 66-year-old Baldev Singh Kalsi, former president of the Gurdwara Sahib Brookside, has been charged with second-degree murder. He is in jail awaiting trial.

 

The Kalsi family first suffered a home break-in while they were in hospital by their mother’s side as she lay on life support.

 

Since then, there have been up to six additional thefts at their home or on their property.

 

Surrey RCMP Cpl. Bert Paquet said there was no question the thieves knew of incidents at the house and had deliberately

 

taken advantage of the situation.

 

"We believe this residence was specifically targeted as an opportunity following the homicide investigation on July 13," said Cpl.

 

Paquet. However, he could not be sure

 

whether the criminals merely took advantage of the fact that the house would likely be empty, or whether they had a personal vendetta against the family.

 

Paquet said police were investigating two separate thefts, one on July 22, the second on Aug 5. However, he confirmed that the family had reported several

 

additional break-ins that police have not been able to confirm.

 

On July 22, thieves stole the family’s Kia Sedona, loading it up with TVs, jewelry, electronics and other valuables to make their getaway.

 

The car was later found abandoned in Langley on July 28. Police forensic teams have been testing it for evidence.

 

In the Aug. 5 break-in at the residence

 

in the 19400-block of 32nd Avenue, there was no indication that goods were stolen, however, someone did gain access illegally.

 

The family, frustrated by repeated violations, installed security cameras that captured images of two men on the property last week.

 

Police released the images to the media this week, hoping for tips. As of yet, none have been reported.

 

Cpl. Paquet said the case was a top priority for the detachment.

 

"We can only feel for the family," he said. "When victims are victimized again and targeted, it definitely brings it to the top of our priority list," he continued, adding that the thefts after the family’s devastating loss was "one of the lowest forms of crime we see."

 

"It’s an extra motivator for us definitely to stop the victimization of this family."

 

Anyone with information on the thefts or suspects pictured is asked to call Surrey RCMP’s non-emergency line at (604) 599-0502 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

 

eoconnor@theprovince.com