Province commits $45.6m to Surrey schools

SURREY – Clayton is getting a brand new high school and Rosemary Heights, Adams Road and Morgan elementary schools are getting additions.

 

The province announced its support for the Clayton North area high school in 2013 and Education Minister Peter Fassbender announced Thursday the province is committing $45.6 million toward the projects, with the school district contributing $19 million.

 

All in all, the $64.6 million projects will mean more than 1,800 spaces for Surrey students.

 

"Early this year, our board wrote to the minister offering to contribute funding in order to speed-up the process, and address over-capacity issues at Adams Road and the South Surrey elementary schools, so we are thrilled to be able to now move ahead," Surrey Board of Education chair Shawn Wilson said in a release.

 

"The announcement today takes care of the top-priority projects in our capital plan and I know the students, staff and parents at all schools involved, including Lord Tweedsmuir and Clayton Heights Secondary schools will be happy as well," he added.

 

The Clayton secondary school will have capacity for 1,500 students, alleviating pressure at Lord Tweedsmuir Secondary in particular. Construction is set to begin in the spring of 2015, with completion expected in early 2017.

 

When it comes to the elementary school additions, a total of 16 classrooms are planned, to house 370 students. Each of the three schools are currently over capacity, with enrolment expected to increase.

 

Construction is slated to begin this fall with hopes of being completed by the fall of 2015.

 

"Today we are celebrating our partnership and cooperation with the Surrey school district – clearly, by working together we are getting results," said Fassbender in a release.

 

"Most of our capital projects in school districts are focused on seismic upgrades for student safety. But at the same time, we are also creating more spaces for students in school districts where student enrollment is expected to grow in the future. These four projects are a great example of that commitment."

 

Surrey Board of Education vice-chair Laurie Larsen said the commitment is really the "tip of the iceberg, especially for what’s needed in Clayton," noting that it’s only about half of what is truly required. "But we’re very appreciative that it did finally come through."

 

Though happy about the commitment, Larsen was disappointed the announcement came while the teachers dispute is going on and a lot of the staff can’t celebrate it.

 

According to Larsen, the South Surrey elementary schools are "overflowing," which is not a unique thing in the districtLarsen said the South Surrey elementary schools are "overflowing" right now and noted there’s a variety of other areas in the district that are operating over capacity.

 

"There’s so many areas that are just busting at the seams. We figure it cost us $4 million for portables last year. And those are just classrooms, those aren’t science labs or gyms or anything that’s needed to go with schools," she said.

 

"Usually what happens is once a school is built and the children move in, then those existing portables are moved to sites that need more class space. It’s sort of like a domino effect. We get one school built, and sometimes as it’s being built, they recognize that it’s not even big enough then, but it’s as big as the government will allow us to build."

 

Larsen noted growth in the Cloverdale area has been massive.

 

"If you drive down Fraser Highway, you just see new developments, new townhouses, there’s new signs up almost every time I drive by there. It’s phenomenal. We can’t even ask for a school until the current school is at 110 (percent) capacity," she said.

 

"We have to wait until the children are actually there at the door, which is hard for Surrey because we can see those buildings going up. And it takes almost four years from when you put in the application and go through the whole system in Surrey and go through your design, until that school can be open."

 

Larsen noted that while the district has had provincial approval for the projects for some time, they can’t move ahead until the cheque is in their hand.

 

"We never count our chickens before they hatch…. So that’s what has happened today," she said. "We’ve been promised that for such a long time and we’ve been waiting."

 

areid@thenownewspaper.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Police watchdog finds cops blameless for deaths in 2019 Surrey hostage-taking

Woman was killed as ERT officers fired on man holding a knife to her throat and ‘what appeared to be’ a gun in his hand

Surrey’s two largest hotels are now closed due to COVID-19; room bookings plummet elsewhere

Guildford’s 77-room Four Points property remains open with ‘minimum amount of business,’ GM says

Some Surrey landlords ‘kicking out’ businesses that can’t make rent

Surrey Board of Trade CEO suspects situation will be worse in May

UPDATE: Catalytic converters stolen from four ambulances being repaired in Delta

The thefts were reported on March 31, and police say they have no suspects at this time

First Nations, remote communities need special attention in pandemic, Freeland says

Health-care workers, seniors, Indigenous Peoples some of people most at risk, health officials say

BC Hydro offers three-month bill ‘holiday’ for those affected by COVID-19

Industrial customers can defer half of their power bills

VIDEO: Dog missing in Lower Mainland since winter sees his family again for the first time

Aldergrove helped find Buster, says dad, who has now witnessed ‘the power of social media’

COVID-19: Social media use goes up as country stays indoors

Overall messaging is up more than 50 per cent over the last month

Some April Fool’s Day jokes bring much-needed laughter; others tone deaf to COVID-19

Police are warning the public not to use the ongoing pandemic as a punchline

Canada’s 75% wage subsidy is coming, but not for several weeks: finance minister

Subsidy will cost Canada $71 billion, but push down cost of emergency benefit, Morneau said

Call before you dig into spring projects during isolation: BC 1 Call

BC 1 Call gives free checks for utilities in the area of a desired outdoor project

B.C.’s intersection speed cameras putting more tickets in the mail

One Nanaimo location delayed after speed limit reduced

Update: Coquihalla re-opens, after incident requiring a medevac

DriveBC warns of continued delays and congestion

Most Read