In celebration of exhibitions that investigate the art of translation, Surrey Art Gallery will host a Family Day on Nov. 13, featuring family-friendly activities where participants can explore, enjoy and create art together.
Activities will invite guests to:
• Become a Gallery “Art Translator”– crack the code of language and art across cultures
• Explore personal and cultural identity as you construct a photo-montage
• Paint your name using a secret alphabet only you can translate
• Make a clay mask inspired by Brendan Fernandes’ video-animated masks in the Disscontinent exhibition
• Create a poem using our ‘random poetry generator’
• Watch magic happen in art demos by members of the Federation of Canadian Artists
• Participate in Jacky’s Village, a performance of African music, dance and storytelling at 2 p.m. Free tickets on site.
The exhibitions Brendan Fernandes: Disscontinent and Finding Correspondences look at the important role of language, translation and identity in contemporary life. Autumn Show features paintings and drawings by members of the Fraser Valley Chapter of the Federation of Canadian Artists.
Family day takes place between 12 and 4 p.m. at the Surrey Art Gallery, 13750 88 Ave. Suggested donation is $4 per child. Everyone is welcome, but kids must be with an adult.
For more info, call 604-501-5566.