As Surrey’s Seva Thrift Store prepares to celebrate its second anniversary, it does with 30,000 reasons to say thank you to its community of shoppers, volunteers and donors.
This month, Seva will donate $20,000 to the Surrey Memorial Hospital’s children’s campaign. Paired with the $10,000 donated after its first year, that’s $30,000 benefiting local children and families!
The appropriately named Seva – it means “selfless service” – offers an eclectic mix of donated new and nearly new clothing, South Asian ethnic wear, jewellery, housewares, and seasonal items like recreation gear and holiday decorations. Just about everything you might hope to find.
In fact, it’s a thrift shop unlike any other.
- Volunteer run: From the top down, Seva Thrift Store is almost completely volunteer-run, with just one paid employee and about 30 volunteers, including nine board members.
- A unique focus: Founded from the outset with an eye to giving back, the shop has already made significant contributions to the community, not only in its $30,000 donation to Surrey Memorial’s Children’s Health Centre Campaign, but also in its work with local women’s shelters, providing books for a local Rotary initiative and connecting with the local shelter to see what’s needed, including clothing, coats, blankets and other essentials. “We give them whatever we can,” says founder and co-manager Raj Arneja.
- A NEW way to thrift: Something the most avid thrifters might not know: “One-third of the items that come into the store are brand new and still have tags on them,” Arneja says. Other unique highlights include the array of beautiful South Asian fabrics, accessories and dress clothing – including three-piece Punjabi suits, lenghas, saris, shawls and wedding outfits.
- Brand awareness: Shoppers know the thrill of thrifting is in the hunt, and at Seva, don’t be surprised if your eye lights on that coveted Coach wallet or sought-after North Face jacket.
- Seasonal highlights: Currently chock-full of back-to-school clothing and accessories, with winter coming you’ll also see a wide variety of quality outerwear complementing the array of quality clothing for men, women and children.
Time to celebrate!
Join Seva’s anniversary celebrations from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 23, with Seva board members and volunteers, representatives from the Surrey Memorial Hospital Foundation and other community members. Browse the great deals in store, enjoy a few refreshments and more, all at 9430 Scott Rd.