13 treated after carbon monoxide detected in Vancouver: EHS

Emergency Health Services says on Twitter that paramedics were responding to a call about a patient who had collapsed

Officials say 13 people were taken to hospital — two of them in critical condition — after carbon monoxide was detected when paramedics responded to a call on Wednesday at an office building in Vancouver.

Emergency Health Services says on Twitter that paramedics were responding to a call about a patient who had collapsed.

It says paramedics wear carbon monoxide monitors and when they arrived the devices immediately detected the gas, which is colourless and odorless.

The agency says a total of 13 patients were treated for poisoning and transported to hospital.

No other details were released by Emergency Health Services but FortisBC spokesman Scott Neufeld says the energy company was called to an office building at about 10 a.m.

He says the company’s technician detected a problem with the boiler.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel is burned and can cause health problems or death when inhaled.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Surrey celebrates multiculturalism with annual Fusion Festival

The two-day festival returns to Holland Park

RCMP investigate two shootings in Surrey

Incidents happened in Whalley, Newton

Surrey Board of Trade fears SkyTrain expansion will impede other transit needs

‘We need transit improvements in all of Surrey,’ Anita Huberman says

Public hearing set for two Surrey modular housing projects for homeless

Surrey council set to vote Monday on projects in Guildford, Whalley

Rich the Vegan scoots across Canada for the animals

Rich Adams is riding his push scooter across Canada to bring awareness to the dog meat trade in Asia

Canadian high school science courses behind on climate change, says UBC study

Researchers found performance on key areas varies by province and territory

UPDATE: One dead after house fire in rural Maple Ridge

Dewdney Trunk Road closed, traffic being re-routed

Six inducted into BC Hockey Hall of Fame

The 26th ceremony in Penticton welcomed powerful figures both from on and off the ice

Highway 1 closed near Revelstoke

No estimated time for opening

CRA program to help poor file taxes yields noticeable bump in people helped

Extra money allows volunteer-driven clinics to operate year-round

Recall: Certain Pacific oysters may pose threat of paralytic shellfish poisoning

Consumers urged to either return affected packages or throw them out

How a Kamloops-born man helped put us on the moon

Jim Chamberlin did troubleshooting for the Apollo program, which led to its success

Most Read