Hundreds of students walk across Semiahmoo Secondary's athletic fields during an evacuation Tuesday morning. The evacuation – which sent students and staff home for the day – was a response to an anonymous bomb threat.

Bomb threat that closed high school viewed as ‘public mischief’

Students, staff sent home from Semiahmoo Secondary Tuesday morning.

An anonymous bomb threat that shut down Semiahmoo Secondary Tuesday is now being treated as a “public mischief investigation,” according to Surrey RCMP.

The school was back to running normally on Wednesday and Surrey RCMP spokesman Cpl. Bert Paquet said extensive examination of the school by the emergency response team had turned up no evidence of a bomb.

“There was no device found, and nothing jeopardizing student and staff safety,” he said.

The investigation is now in the hands of the Surrey RCMP Youth Section.

“We’re following up on some leads,” he said, adding that, while they’re not divulging details, the evidence police are looking at “definitely has to do with the means by which the threat was conveyed.”

Police were alerted that a bomb threat had been received shortly before 10:30 a.m.,Tuesday, in a call from school principal Bea Hadikin.

Students and staff were evacuated immediately, and students were subsequently advised they were being sent home, as investigators and the emergency response team continued to investigate.

“It’s in the hands of the fire and police personnel to do their sweeps of the school,” Surrey School District spokesperson Doug Strachan commented later in the morning, confirming that all staff and students had been evacuated and were on their way home.

Officials were reportedly searching areas surrounding the school, located at 1785 148 St.

Shortly after 11 a.m., various emergency personnel could be seen walking toward a wooded area just east of the school building.

Vehicle and pedestrian access to 148 Street between 17 Avenue and 20 Avenue was also closed off during Tuesday morning, Paquet said.

Fire crews assisted for a time, he said, and police were in contact with the RCMP explosive-disposal unit.

Although it’s now being looked at as a case of public mischief, Paquet noted that bomb threats are always taken “extremely seriously.”

“A risk-assessment was done based on the information we had at the time,” he added.

“It was serious enough that, for obvious safety reasons, the officers attending evacuated the school and sent all students, teachers and staff home for the remainder of the day.”

 

By midday, the Semiahmoo Secondary website was reporting the site had been cleared and was “deemed safe” by police.

 

– with files from Nick Greenizan

 

Just Posted

White Rock RCMP seeking information about Aug. 16 assault

Man in 60s was injured around same time Paul Prestbakmo was stabbed to death

New recovery house rules, increased funding aim to prevent overdose tragedy

Changes ‘speak to issues’ highlighted by death of South Surrey’s Zachary Plett

Police hope to speak with witnesses from fatal 2017 stabbing in Surrey

Wally Rogers was stabbed outside his home near 88th Avenue and 144th Street on July 8, 2017

Surrey RCMP say municipal force approval a ‘challenging time’ for detachment

Province green lit the plan, joint committee for transition to be established

Police watchdog seeking witnesses in officer-involved Surrey shooting

This is the fourth incident within a one-week period that IIO is investigating

B.C. sockeye returns drop as official calls 2019 ‘extremely challenging’

Federal government says officials are seeing the same thing off Alaska and Washington state

Expanded support to help B.C. youth from care attend university still falling short

Inadequate support, limited awareness and eligibility restrictions some of the existing challenges

Ethnic media aim to help maintain boost in voting by new Canadians

Statistics Canada says new Canadians made up about one-fifth of the voting population in 2016

Cross-examination begins for B.C. dad accused of killing young daughters

Andrew Berry is charged in the deaths of six-year-old Chloe and four-year-old Aubrey in 2017

Dog attacked by river otters, Penticton owner says

Marie Fletcher says her dog was pulled underwater by four river otters in the Penticton Channel

BC SPCA overwhelmed with cats, kittens needing homes

Large number of cruelty investigations, plus normal ‘kitten season’ to blame

Memorial to deceased teen stays in place through Labour Day

Hundreds of tributes have been left at the Walnut Grove skate park

Wife charged in husband’s death in Sechelt

Karin Fischer has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of her husband, Max

Most Read