Cars

Cash, cars, computer equipment sought for forfeiture

Items sought were seized throughout Surrey, during police and border investigations.

Seized cash, cars, cellphones and iPads are among dozens of items being sought for forfeiture.

Notices issued today (Jan. 29) by the Civil Forfeiture Office explain that the items were seized because there was evidence that they had been obtained by and/or used in the commission of an offence or offences. The proceedings, however, are not reliant on criminal charges or convictions; they may be commenced within 10 years of the alleged unlawful activity.

According to the notices, the incidents occurred throughout Surrey between Sept. 21, 2012 and Nov. 1, 2015.

The most items from one seizure were collected around 8:30 p.m. Aug. 13, 2013 in South Surrey, during an incident at the Douglas (Peace Arch) border crossing. The list includes seven 16GB iPads, three 32GB iPad Minis, Beats Studio headphones, a Foodsaver 2200 and six Samsung galaxy S4 cellphones.

On Aug. 31, 2015, in connection with possession for the purpose of trafficking investigations, Surrey police seized a 2000 Toyota Corolla from near 18 Avenue and 156 Street, followed by a 2003 Saturn Vue, $579.25 cash and two cellphones in the 1700-block of 152 Street.

Cash and a BlackBerry cellphone were seized April 18, 2015 near King George Boulevard and 164 Street, also in connection with a possession for the purpose of trafficking investigation.

Further details of the specific incidents were not provided.

If the notices are not disputed – there is a 60-day window to do so – the property will be forfeited to the government for disposal. Depending on the items, they may be disposed of by auction, or, for items that cannot be legally sold, sent for salvage.

Proceeds are used to administer the program – which was launched in July 2011 – with excess funds benefiting crime-prevention programs across B.C. To date, those funds have totalled more than $20 million; grant recipients for 2015-2016 are to be announced in the coming months.

If a forfeiture is disputed – approximately 17 per cent of such files are, according to the CFO – the director of civil forfeiture has 30 days to either withdraw from the proceedings or seek forfeiture through the B.C. Supreme Court.

Since July 2011 – when the administrative forfeiture program was initiated – the Civil Forfeiture Office has commenced more than 2,675 such applications.

For more information, visit www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/civilforfeiture

 

Just Posted

Proudly Surrey modifies child-care policy

Slate wants to use school board property for child-care spaces

Surrey school board wants to expand French Immersion program

District had to close program at Cougar Creek Elementary due to low enrolment

VIDEO: Vancouver Giants earn a 3-1 victory over Everett in season-opener in Langley

Langley’s major junior hockey team opened the season at home with a victory over the Silvertips.

White Rock rail forum leads to renewed calls for relocation

Upgrading safety is not enough say local politicians

CUTENESS OVERLOAD: 2 sea otters hold hands at the Vancouver Aquarium

Holding hands is a common – and adorable – way for otters to stay safe in the water

Airline has ‘close call’ with drone while en route to B.C. airport

Jazz Aviation reported the drone sighting near Vancouver to the RCMP and Transport Canada

Tragic accident claims life of B.C. toddler

Fundraising effort has been created to help mom and family

B.C. nanny charged with sex abuse of 3 children

Saanich Police seek potential victims of Johnathon Lee Robichaud from Central Saanich

‘I’m no quitter’ on climate change issues, McKenna says at G7 ministers meeting

David Suzuki says if McKenna believes what she’s saying, she too should quit

Free vet clinic caters to pets of homeless, low income owners in Lower Mainland

The first such clinic in Langley will take place later this month.

VIDEO: Inside an eerily empty mall in Canada

Only seven of 517 retail spaces are open for business as the grand opening postponed to next year

B.C. wildfires burned large areas affected by mountain pine beetles: Experts

The mountain pine beetle epidemic affected more than 180,000 square kilometres in B.C.

Tens of thousands without power following tornado in Ottawa region

Hydro Ottawa says more than 170,000 customers were without power early this morning

Most Read