Child suffers second-degree burns after cooking accident

4-year-old girl airlifted from Surrey home to hospital Tuesday.

Police attend a home in Newton where a little girl was burned by hot cooking oil on Tuesday (July 19) afternoon.

Police attend a home in Newton where a little girl was burned by hot cooking oil on Tuesday (July 19) afternoon.

A four-year-old Surrey girl is in hospital after being severely burned by hot oil in an apparent cooking accident Tuesday.

Surrey RCMP said the child’s mother bumped into her in the family kitchen while carrying a pot of hot oil, spilling the scalding contents onto the child’s upper body.

“It appears through our investigation that this was an accident, a very tragic accident,” Cpl. Drew Grainger told CTV.

Police, ambulance paramedics and firefighters rushed to the home, located in the 13100-block of Linton Way in the Newton area, and the girl was airlifted from a nearby elementary school field to BC Children’s Hospital. She had second-degree burns to a significant portion of her body.

Grainger said the girl’s condition had stabilized by Wednesday morning, but could not comment further on the extent of her injuries resulting from what he called an “unfortunate accident.”

– with files from CTV BC

Surrey North Delta Leader

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up