Concern over children being pricked after Surrey needle collection program ends

Lookout Emergency Aid Society's 'Rig Dig' needle collection program ends today after losing gaming grant funding

WHALLEY — Today is the last day for a needle collection program in the Whalley area after funding has been lost.

“We had two folks out today, and we’re going to have a second team out this afternoon but effectively by 4 o’clock today the program is over,” said Keir Macdonald, deputy executive director of Lookout Emergency Aid Society, which runs the “Rig Dig” needle recovery program.

The program has been around since 2014, noted Macdonald, but it didn’t receive its gaming grant this year. It was a loss of roughly $44,000 and it takes $50,000 to run the program annually, he explained.

LETTER: We must find way to keep Surrey’s Rig Dig needle program alive

Lookout still receives $8,400 from Fraser Health for the initiative, but those dollars are shared with other programs, said Macdonald.

“We hope we can find some way to revive the program again,” he lamented.

The Now went out with the Rig Dig program in July and found 250 needles within two hours. That’s the norm.

Macdonald anticipates the effects of the program’s end will be felt immediately.

“One of the things I worry about is school’s back,” he remarked. “So it’s not just the primary business area that we keep an eye on, the parks, the streets, we do the school areas as well. Without this service we won’t be sweeping through.

“There’s always the potential risk of pricks,” Macdonald continued. “That’s the fear. All it takes is one.”

He noted the business community, residents and even users are supportive of the program.

In July, the Downtown Surrey BIA released a report that said stray needles have become an “ever-growing concern” in the area.

SEE MORE: Surrey businesses offer up fresh solutions to needle nightmare

“Whereas used needles were once largely confined to 135A Street (‘the Strip’), they are increasingly spreading to new, previously unaffected areas,” states the report.

One of the BIA’s recommendations is expansion of the now-cancelled Rig Dig program.

“Everyone recognizes what a valuable service this is,” said Macdonald. “We really don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s a sad day today.”

amy.reid@thenownewspaper.com

 

Just Posted

Surrey Central SkyTrain Station upgrades completed

It’s the seventh station along Expo Line to see upgrades completed. Construction began in March 2017

Semiahmoo Trail students surpass Coldest Night fundraising goal

Rocco Forte and his team are third-year participants in Saturday’s Coldest Night of the Year walk

Tardi and team playoff bound in junior curling worlds tonight

Friday night Team Canada’s men’s team faces off against Norway, hoping to secure a spot in the finals

Surrey students learn the ins and outs of business through workers’ co-operative

Mentors work with youth in voluntary after-school program

Pink Shirt Day a reminder to ‘T.H.I.N.K.’ before posting on social media

‘Be Kind’ message on shirts sold for anti-bullying activities of Wednesday, Feb. 27

Man sentenced to 7 years for smuggling drugs and shooting at border guards in Sumas

Nathan Hall was arrested in Abbotsford in 2013 after day-long manhunt

No treatment for highly infectious measles, says doctor

10 cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver as of Friday

Two more measles cases confirmed in Vancouver

It brings the number of total cases within the city connected to the outbreak to ten

B.C. Special Olympics officially underway in Vernon

Athlete’s Oath: “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”

Vancouver Aquarium wants your help to name a baby killer whale

The public helped name Springer’s first calf, Spirit, and is being asked to help with the second

Guards protest firing of fellow officers charged with assault at B.C. prison

Corrections officers demonstrated in Maple Ridge on Friday afternoon

Skier dies at Revelstoke Mountain Resort

Cause of death for young man has not been released

R. Kelly charged with 10 counts of sexual abuse

R&B star has been accused of sexual misconduct involving women and underage girls for years

Most Read