A man described as a prolific property offender by Delta police has been charged in connection with several thefts in North Delta.
Taranjot Singh Grewal, 40, of Delta, is facing five theft-related charges after officers from the Delta Police Department’s street crime unit observed him allegedly stealing a parcel from the doorstep of a residence in the 9200-block of 118th Street on Dec. 5.
“Our officers were very pleased to stop this real life holiday Grinch in his tracks,” DPD public affairs manager Cris Leykauf said in a press release.
Grewal is charged with three counts of theft of mail, from three addresses on 116th Street, 118th Street and Carver Crescent. He is also charged with the theft of a pickup canopy on Nov. 16 and possession of stolen mail from that same day. Grewal appeared in Surrey court on Monday, Dec. 10, and has been remanded into police custody until Dec. 24.
Noting it can be issue at this time of year, Delta police are offering the following tips to help residents safeguard themselves against package theft:
• schedule deliveries for times you will be home
• have packages delivered to your work
• require all packages be signed for
• buddy up with a neighbour who will watch for package deliveries, or agree to have packages delivered to their house
• install security cameras that may act as a deterrent
• Give instructions to the package delivery service (some services allow you to provide instructions on where to leave packages)