One person died in a fire at a Langley City seniors residence early Wednesday morning April 12 Shane MacKichan photo One person died in a fire at a Langley City seniors residence on April 12. Tenants of the building will have to find accommodation elsewhere for the next several months as a restoration company works to mitigate an asbestos hazard. Shane MacKichan photo

Displaced Langley seniors will be out for months after deadly fire

Elderly with no place to go offered group lodging at seniors’ complex hall

Sixty residents displaced by the April 12 fire that killed an elderly man inside a Langley City subsidized seniors housing unit have more questions than answers about where they will live in the coming months.

At an all-candidates meeting for seniors on Wednesday at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Liberal incumbent candidate Rich Coleman, said BC Housing has purchased the Quality Inn, near Home Depot, for social housing. He told the crowd that the displaced seniors will be able to live there while their building is repaired.

But Langley Lions Society administrator Jeannette Dagenais said Wednesday afternoon that she hadn’t heard that.

“Actually, I made that suggestion the day of the fire but I have never had that idea supported as far as I know,” she said on Wednesday.

A meeting was held Wednesday by BC Housing, Red Cross, mental health and the Lions Society, to update residents on their living arrangements and the length of time they may be out of their homes.

The seniors were told at the meeting that their emergency funding for lodging had been extended until Friday, and if they had nowhere else to go by then, they would be accommodated in the Evergreen Hall of Rainbow Lodge.

“For the displaced residents who don’t have anywhere else to live, they can come here on Friday and there will be group lodging provided,” said Deganais. “The Red Cross will be running it and they will also be providing the cots. We will be feeding them.”

Residents who live in the north end of the building will be displaced for at least eight months, maybe more, said Dagenais.

For the south end, those residents will be out at least two to three months or longer.

“It’s because of asbestos,” she explained.

“The building was built in 1974, so when the water from the fire hoses went in there it dispersed the asbestos.”

Balfor is the restoration company doing the work.

Dagenais was hoping to get the all-clear from them to allow residents from the south end to be able to go with her and get any items they need soon.

“She also said they will be posting rental units available in the area.

“They may be more expensive than here but anyone over 60 is entitled to a subsidy under SAFER,” she said.

Peter Lehmann, 73, said he may have to live in the group lodging or live in his car.

“I live on the main floor and on the extreme opposite of the building from where the fire was,” he said. “I went from living in subsidized housing and being quite comfortable, to disaster.”

He has been living at the Days Inn since the fire. He left with no shoes and no hearing aid.

He uses a powered wheelchair. He said he won’t sign the waiver to go back in and get his things, though, because he is worried about the asbestos.

Another resident, an 86-year-old woman, has been living with her family but her son-in-law said the experience has been very stressful on her.

“She’s 86. This just rocked her whole world. She was very stressed thinking she couldn’t get into her unit to get her clothes but now that has been arranged.”

An elderly man died inside his third floor unit, where the fire erupted at around 12:45 a.m.

Langley City Fire acting assistant chief Scott Kennedy said the fire was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

“Our investigation is complete so we have turned over the building to the [Lions] Society and the restoration company now has security of the building,” said Kennedy.

He said when the fire occurred, they tried their best to get as many residents’ medications and emergency equipment as possible.

As part of the provincial emergency response, residents were given $200 to purchase necessary items, like clothing.

Rainbow Lodge in a large complex at 203 Street and 54 Avenue that is one of the largest low-cost housing blocks available in Metro Vancouver.

Just Posted

Double-decker pilot project wraps up in South Surrey/White Rock

TransLink officials cite ‘fantastic’ response

White Rock to share water-treatment technology

Research findings to be up for perusal at Jan. 25 open house

Crash at 108th Avenue and Whalley Boulevard in Surrey

Emergency crews are on scene after two-vehicle collision

Machete-wielding man arrested in North Delta

Police chased the man down Kittson Parkway before arresting him

Surrey man charged in Walmart fire and grocery store robbery

Police say Richard Read charged in two separate incidents that happened minutes apart on April 20th

VIDEO: Surrey reviewing Clayton crosswalk after pedestrian hit

The city says investigation in response to safety concerns from local resident

RCMP nail sex toy thief

Shop owner plays a role in arrest

Ice-cream-eating bear draws controversy

An Alberta Wildlife Park posted a video this week of one of their bears going through a Dairy Queen drive-through

Police arrest pair after ‘high-risk vehicle takedown’

Vancouver police say replica handgun found in alleged suspects’ vehicle

Fernie, RCMP go to court over city log books in fatal ammonia leak probe

Log books center stage in clashing of investigations between the city and RCMP

B.C.’s biggest pot plant planned for Oliver

Co-founder Tony Holler said the 700,000 sq. ft. facility would produce 100,000 kg of pot per year

High-end whisky seized in B.C. bar raids

Raids end in seizures at Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver whisky joints

E-cig likely the cause of townhouse fire

Smoke and fire damage but no one was hurt in Chilliwack

Train derails in Northwest B.C.

CN reports no injuries or dangerous goods involved after coal train derailment.

Most Read