SURREY — There’s no reason to be bored on Family Day.
Monday, Feb. 13 marks the fifth annual BC Family Day, a provincial statutory holiday that celebrates the importance of families.
In Surrey, a number of free, family-focused events are planned this long weekend.
Activities include free public swimming and skating, a geocache hunt, plus a variety of drop-in activities including an obstacle race, scavenger hunt, family dance fusion, crafts, games, sports and more.
Registration is required for some activities. For more information, visit www.surrey.ca/events.
Here’s the list of events:
Friday, Feb. 10 to Monday, Feb. 13
Public skating (includes helmet and skate rentals)
- Friday February 10 from 6:15pm–7:45pm at Cloverdale Arena
- Saturday February 11 from 12pm–1:30pm at North Surrey Arena
- Sunday February 12 from 12pm–1:45pm at Newton Arena
- Monday February 13 from 12pm–2pm at Surrey Sport and Leisure Arena
Saturday, Feb. 11
Geocache treasure hunt
- Hawthorne Park from 10am–11:30am (barcode 4518625)
- Bakerview Park from 2pm–3:30pm (barcode 4518692)
Monday, Feb. 13
Public swimming at City of Surrey indoor pools from 1pm–4pm
Drop-in games, crafts, sports and family activities at City of Surrey recreation facilities
- Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre 11am–2pm
- Cloverdale Recreation Centre 10am–12pm
- Fleetwood Community Centre 11am–1pm
- Fraser Heights Recreation Centre 10:30am–12:30pm
- Guildford Recreation Centre 9am–1pm
- Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre 12pm–4pm
- Historic Stewart Farm 12pm–3pm
- Newton Recreation Centre 11am–1pm
- Newton Athletic Park 9:30am–11am
- South Surrey Recreation & Arts Centre 11am–1pm
- Surrey Sport & Leisure Complex 11:15am–5pm
- Surrey Nature Centre 10am–2pm
Elsewhere in Surrey, the Loafing Shed Glass Studio & Gallery hosts a Family Day Weekend event, with glass-blowing demos by artist Robert Gary Parkes at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. daily, on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The studio is located at 9060 184 St., Surrey.
At Langley Events Centre on Sunday (Feb. 12), the Vancouver Stealth pro lacrosse team plays host to a Family Day event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. inside the Fieldhouse. There will be face painting, balloon animals, music, obstacle courses and many door prizes. Later, their game against Colorado Mammoth will take place at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 5:30. Tickets are available at the Langley Events Centre Box Office at 604-882-8800, or CLICK HERE.
A searchable guide to Family Day events planned across B.C. is live on the B.C. Recreation and Parks Association website. CLICK HERE to search.
In Delta, CLICK HERE to view events planned on Family Day.
Further afield, Grouse Mountain hosts its annual 24 Hours of Winter event from Saturday to Monday, with a variety of round-the-clock activities including all-night skiing, snowboarding and ice skating; sunset, midnight and sunrise snowshoe tours; a spectacular torch parade; junior pond hockey tournament; music; dining and much more. As part of the BC Family ski promotion, B.C. residents can access the Mountain for 50 per cent off lift tickets and general admission all day on Monday, Feb. 13. CLICK HERE for details.