Fire displaces Aldergrove family of eight

The pre-Christmas fire has sent the family looking for new lodgings.

The community is coming to the aid of a Langley family of eight who were displaced from their home by fire just before Christmas.

On Dec. 20, the family dishwasher at Zane and Julia Green’s Aldergrove townhouse overheated and started a fire.

“Luckily, all the kids were at school,” Zane said.

Julia had just headed across the street to see the school Christmas pageant, and a neighbour called to let Julia know the building was on fire.

Although the fire wasn’t large, the fact that it burned up a lot of plastic meant toxic smoke went throughout the townhouse, said Zane.

Between smoke damage, water damage, and old asbestos tiling inside the 1980s-era building, it will be a while before the building can be repaired.

“We are out of the house for at least a year,” said Zane.

The tree and Christmas presents are still inside the house, but everything will have to be thrown out, Zane said, because of smoke contamination.

Fortunately, the family does have contents insurance, and the structure was insured through the complex’s strata corporation.

But the family was looking at a rocky time. Zane, a funeral director, is just a year into starting up a new business in Maple Ridge, Ancient Burials.

Family offered to start up a GoFundMe campaign online.

“We really hemmed and hawed,” Zane said. Although they were somewhat underinsured, they knew they could make it through, despite the additional costs and difficulties.

But when the campaign went up six days ago, the response was immediate.

The campaign has already raised more than $8,000 of the $10,000 goal, towards getting the family through the transition.

Zane was surprised. A lot of people he’s met through his work as a funeral director seemed to have reached out to help, he said.

Now the family is looking for a rental home that can accommodate two adults and six children, until the repairs are done on their townhouse.

The kids are doing fairly well, though they miss certain things lost in the fire, Zane said.

“It is tough, but when it’s all said and done, we have our lives,” he said.

Just Posted

Five free Christmas movies in Surrey on Cineplex ‘Community Day’ for charity

Donations encouraged on the morning of Saturday, Dec. 7

‘Waitress’ serves young Surrey actor a coveted role in musical on Vancouver stage

Cloverdale’s Kate Whiddington one of two girls chosen to play Lulu

Homicide investigators called in after man dies following ‘disturbance’ in Surrey

Surrey RCMP don’t believe the incident was random or connected to gang conflict

Event set to light up White Rock’s Memorial Park

Inaugural Festival of Lights will launch on Dec. 6

Thousands attend Remembrance Day ceremony in Cloverdale

Veterans, politicians, Surrey residents lay wreaths at cenotaph

Petition to ‘bring back Don Cherry’ goes viral after immigrant poppy rant

Cherry was fired from his co-hosting role for the Coach’s Corner segment on Nov. 11.

Disney Plus streaming service hits Canada with tech hurdles

Service costs $8.99 per month, or $89.99 per year, in Canada

Trudeau’s opponents: One gives him an earful, another seeks common ground

PM meets with Conservative leader Andrew Scheer and Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe

Rona’s ‘truly Canadian’ ads are inaccurate, watchdog says

Ads Standards points out U.S.-based Lowe’s acquired Rona in 2016

UPDATE: Bargaining to resume in transit strike as bus driver overtime ban looms

Both sides might be headed back to the table to prevent new overtime ban

Brian Burke considered favourite to replace Don Cherry

Brian Burke is the 5-4 pick to be the full-time replacement next season

Major donor Peter Allard takes UBC to court to get his name on all law degrees

Philanthropist claims school not adhering to 2014 agreement for his $30-million donation

Environment Canada issuses snowfall warning for Okanagan

Snow is expected to be replaced with rain in the afternoon

Most Read