Surrey is trying to put an end to costly dumping in this city by offering free drop off.

Free junk drop off in Surrey

City works to slow skyrocketing costs of illegal dumping in Surrey

Surrey has launched a free drop off site for large household waste, in an effort to cut huge clean up costs in this city.

Last year, Surrey taxpayers spent almost $1 million in cleaning up after illegal dumpers, almost double what it cost a decade before.

Surrey has launched several programs to stop the financial bleed, including enforcement, but costs keep climbing.

“A major contributing factor leading to illegal dumping is the high cost of disposal fees at regional transfer stations, combined with the lack of convenience relating to the location of these facilities,” Surrey’s General Manager of Engineering wrote in a report to council.

In July, Surrey started “Pop-up Junk Drop” events at the city’s works yard, at 6651 148 St.

Three events have been held so far, and are being described as extremely successful.

The events “were met with highly positive feedback from participating residents,” Smith wrote.

At the first two events, Surrey collected 260 metric tonnes of waste, 185 tonnes of which was recycled, and another 30 tonnes was of use to the Salvation Army.

It equates to a 71 per cent diversion from the landfill, which is on par with regional targets.

The junk drop off events will take, furniture and mattresses, electronics and household items, appliances and scrap metal, tires, paper, cardboard and styrofoam, household renovation waste, mixed plastics and reusable items for donation.

Commercial waste, or commercial vehicles will not be allowed, nor will hazardous or dangerous waste, animal waste or carcasses, car parts, lead-acid batteries, dirt, rocks, sand, drywall or concrete.

City staff say the cost of the pop-up junk events is about $180,000 for the four months.

The city couldn’t say yet whether the calls for illegal dumping have dropped or not.

That said, because of the promising turnout, it’s quite possible the service will continue past the trial period.

A staff report will be going to Surrey council after the conclusion of the pop-up event in October.

The coming events will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the city’s works yard on Aug. 27, Sept. 17 and Oct. 1.

Picture ID is required as proof the driver is from Surrey. No vehicles larger than one-ton trucks will be admitted.

For more information, visit http://www.surrey.ca/culture-recreation/20196.aspx

 

Just Posted

Surrey Community Leader Awards winners revealed

The 16th CLA awards, presented by the Now-Leader, recognized Surrey’s un-sung heroes

COMMUTER ALERT: Serious pedestrian crash closes Pacific Highway

Traffic along 176th Street, 4th to 8th Avenue, is blocked while Mounties continue to investigate.

MPs meet with Surrey council to discuss RCMP, LRT

Federal government to have quarterly meetings with Surrey

Hogg curious if a new recreation centre is needed in Grandview Heights

South Surrey-White Rock MP to host a Town Hall Meeting tonight

Surrey building that has gathered dust for 20 years is for sale again, with bids sought

Potential sale of the long-vacant 104 Avenue Centre is good news, Surrey Board of Trade CEO says

People flocking to Vancouver Island city to see hundreds of sea lions

Each year the combination of Steller and California sea lions take over Cowichan Bay

Protesters confront Environment Minister in B.C.

Protesters wanting more for killer whales confront Catherine McKenna

Humans reshaping evolutionary history of species around the globe: paper

University of British Columbia researcher had the paper published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society

Toronto ‘carding’ activist Desmond Cole stopped by police in Vancouver

Cole says his experience reveals what daily life is like for black and Indigenous residents

Tubing, skating, light display part of new winter festival in Vancouver

Set to open Nov. 23, the six-week festival will take over Vancouver’s Concord Pacific Centre

Commercial trucks banned from left lane of Coquihalla

B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation has introduced a new program that hopes to prevent accidents and closures on the Coquihalla Highway.

B.C. on track to record same number of overdose deaths as last year

128 people died of overdoses in September, bringing the total to more than 1,100 so far in 2018

B.C. firefighters rescue horse stuck in mud

‘It happens more often than you’d think,’ says deputy chief

Regulatory confusion over ‘toxic’ stink near Abbotsford school

Officials sniffing out which regulators responsible for enforcing compliance at neighbouring property

Most Read