Friends rescue neighbour from burning house on Scott Road in Surrey

Injured paraplegic man rushed to hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation

  • Nov. 20, 2016 5:00 a.m.

The Iwaczewki family of Surrey in a photo posted to a GoFundMe page called 'A family torn by flames seeks help.'

By Glenda Luymes, PNG

SURREY — Smoke was billowing out, but Reshadi Iwaczewski was going in.

Without hesitation, the 24-year-old Surrey man and his friend Keoki Sagastizado dashed into a burning basement suite Friday night in search of the paraplegic man who lived there. They saw nothing but fire and smoke.

“I was calling ‘Where are you?’” recalled Iwaczewki in an interview Saturday. “And then I heard him say, ‘I’m here.’”

(SCROLL DOWN TO SEE VIDEO)

The two young men found Iwaczewki’s neighbour on the floor at the back of the suite, located in in the 9900-block of Scott Road. They attempted to pull him to safety, but couldn’t get a good grip. Iwaczewki, who had been in the shower when the fire started and still had a damp towel with him, wrapped the man’s burned arms in the wet cloth and pulled him to the door.

Moments later, firefighters, who had just arrived at the house, were by the man’s side and performed first aid.

Crews were able to quickly get the fire under control, said Surrey assistant fire chief Chris Keon.

The injured man, who firefighters found “half out of the door,” was rushed to hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation. The blaze remains under investigation, said the assistant chief.

Several hours after the ordeal, Iwaczewki was at Walmart with his mom and three younger siblings, buying essentials like socks and shampoo. Their home — one of three suites in the house — was ruined by smoke and water damage. They have two days of emergency funding to stay in a hotel, but they’re already searching for a new place to live.

“We’re in shock,” said Iwaczewki. “But we’ve got to keep going. We need to find a place to live for five people and that’s not going to be easy.”

The young man was uncomfortable being called a hero. “It’s what anyone would do,” he said.

Iwaczewki believes the fire may have started in a heating and air conditioning unit near the basement suite. He had returned home for a quick shower before heading out with his friends when he smelled smoke.

“I could smell something burning and then my mom screamed,” he said.

Iwaczewki got dressed and ran to the burning heating unit. He used his wet towel to smother the flames. Meanwhile, his mother was frantically searching for the key to the neighbour’s suite. After finding it, she unlocked the door, and Iwaczewki and his friend Sagastizado plunged inside.

The neighbour’s condition is unknown. Keon said the investigation has been turned over to the RCMP.

GoFundMe page has been started for the Iwaczewki family.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Provincial COVID-19 data can now be used for B.C. to prepare for a second wave

In the past week, B.C. has seen a slight spike in daily test-positive case counts

PHOTOS: Surrey rally supports Mona Wang, calls for wellness check reform

Security camera footage shows Wang being dragged, stepped on during RCMP wellness check at UBCO

Woman sexually assaulted, robbed near Surrey SkyTrain station: RCMP

Police say the incident happened July 10, just after 11 p.m.

Filming applications ‘coming in slowly’ to the City of Surrey

Netflix cancels ‘Sabrina’, but filming manager says new calls coming in to film in Cloverdale

COVID-19: Daily update on the pandemic in Surrey, White Rock and beyond

JULY 11: B.C.’s COVID-19 job recovery led by tourism, finance

QUIZ: Are you ready for a summer road trip?

How much do you really know about roads, motor vehicles and car culture? Take this quiz to find out.

B.C. Ferries increasing passenger capacity after COVID-19 restrictions

Transport Canada 50-per-cent limit being phased out, no current plans to provide masks

Once-in-a-lifetime comet photographed soaring over Abbotsford

Photographer Randy Small captures Comet NEOWISE in early-morning sky

Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

Bringing support to Indigenous students and communities, while fulfilling a dream

Mitacs is a nonprofit organization that operates research and training programs

B.C. man prepares to be first to receive double-hand transplant in Canada

After the surgery, transplant patients face a long recovery

Grocers appear before MPs to explain decision to cut pandemic pay

Executives from three of Canada’s largest grocery chains have defended their decision to end temporary wage increases

Man shot dead in east Abbotsford suburbs

Integrated Homicide Investigative Team called to investigate

RCMP ‘disappointed’ by talk that race a factor in quiet Rideau Hall arrest

Corey Hurren, who is from Manitoba, is facing 22 charges

Most Read