Marilyn Laursen

Marilyn Laursen

Hit-and-run driver in White Rock fatality remorseful: lawyer

Hands grasped behind his back, Kyle Brandon Danyliuk took responsibility for the hit-and-run death of White Rock resident Marilyn Laursen.

In a brief appearance in Surrey Provincial Court this week, Kyle Brandon Danyliuk took responsibility for the May 2011 hit-and-run death of White Rock resident Marilyn Laursen.

Danyliuk – who was arrested two months later – pleaded guilty Wednesday afternoon to: dangerous driving causing death in the case of Laursen; dangerous driving causing bodily harm, in connection with a second victim who was injured in the same incident; and two counts of failure to stop at an accident scene causing death or bodily harm, with the intent to escape civil or criminal liability.

Hands grasped behind his back, Danyliuk, a slim, clean-shaven 20-year-old with close-cropped dark hair, said “guilty” four times, after each charge was read.

The plea made before Judge Michael Hicks is an admission that Danyliuk was behind the wheel of the car that struck and killed Laursen, 56, as she walked across Johnston Road at Thrift Avenue on May 18.

Surviving victim Solmaz Pourmohammmadbhagerna was in a vehicle not directly involved in the fatal crash.

Kyle Brandon DanyliukOutside court, Danyliuk – escorted at his request by a court sheriff – declined comment as he left with a woman and their young son.

The Surrey resident had looked on as his lawyer, Isaac Ferbey, told Peace Arch News his client was “simply taking responsibility,” adding “he’s very sorry for the harm he’s caused to the victims and their families in this case.”

Police said at the time that the car that hit Laursen had avoided a police stop and sideswiped another northbound vehicle just prior to the incident, which occurred around 9:40 p.m. A suspect vehicle was found abandoned about a kilometre away near Earl Marriott Secondary.

Danyliuk was arrested July 18.

Ferbey wouldn’t comment on the length of time between the incident and the arrest.

Danyliuk is due in court July 25 for a sentencing hearing that his lawyer predicts will shed more light on what actually happened.

“On the 25th there will be a lot said about all of the circumstances,” Ferbey said. “Everything will come to light on that day.”

Laursen – described as a happy-go-lucky, giving woman – was survived by a daughter and four siblings.



Surrey North Delta Leader