Construction fencing, which is to be reconfigured in January to close the parking lot on the east side of White Rock Museum and Archives, has been in place at White Rock’s Memorial Park since September. (Tracy Holmes photo)

Memorial Park assessment to start in new year

White Rock and Semiahmoo First Nation to consult on archeological issues

The City of White Rock is to move current fencing at Memorial Park to its original place on the waterfront – shutting off the parking lot on the east side of White Rock Museum and Archives – in the second week of January while an archeological-impact assessment process for the planned park upgrade takes place.

The process itself – to be conducted by the city in continuing consultation with Semiahmoo First Nation – will begin on Jan. 2, according to city communications manager Farnaz Farrokhi.

The fencing had been moved to accommodate residents and merchants during the holiday season, Farrokhi said.

In response to questions from Peace Arch News Dec. 14, Farrokhi confirmed last week that the city had applied for a provincial archeological permit for the project on Oct. 23 – more than a month after the project was shut down by a cease-and-desist order from Semiahmoo First Nations Chief Harley Chappell and councillors Joanne and Roxanne Charles at what was supposed to be an official ground-breaking ceremony for the $6-million project.

Dec. 13, the city received a provincial archeological permit for the project – which is to include reconfiguring the park property between the museum and the pier, and upgrading the washrooms – Farrokhi added.

SFN council members said at the time they presented the cease-and-desist order that the First Nation had not been consulted during the project-design process, and that archeological protection protocols had not been observed on land that is traditional SFN territory and which may contain artifacts and burial sites of historical importance.

Farrokhi said Dec. 19 that work that week would be on “site preparation.”

“Crews will be out doing non-demo work such as setting up utility locals and lights,” she said.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

South Surrey’s Rialto Theatre shutters after 200 % rent increase imposed

Owner says he’s devastated by the closure of the 26-year-old business

TransLink CEO asks riders not to enforce mask rules after Surrey bus punch-up

A fight broke out on a bus at 96 Avenue and Scott Road involving a man who refused to wear a mask

Police investigating shooting in North Delta

Police say occupants of two vehicles exchanged gunfire near 120th Street and 82nd Avenue

Weekend sees 267 cases, 3 deaths in B.C.; Dr. Henry says events leading to COVID spread

There are currently 1,302 active cases in B.C., while 3,372 people are under public health monitoring

Ahead of likely second wave, 60% of Canadians relaxing COVID-19 measures

Proportion of Canadians not following safety measures has dropped by 3 per cent in the past two weeks

Canada’s population tops 38 million, even as COVID-19 pandemic slows growth

Immigration, the top population driver, decreased due to the pandemic

Lightning strike: Tampa Bay blanks Dallas 2-0 to win Stanley Cup

Hedman wins Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP

16 MLAs retiring from B.C. politics add up to $20M in pensions: Taxpayers Federation

Taxpayers pay $4 for every dollar MLAs contribute to their pensions

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Liberals seek to fast track new COVID-19 aid bill after CERB expires

Government secured NDP support for legislation by hiking amount of benefits by $100 to $500 per week

B.C. VOTES 2020: Echoes of HST in B.C. debate over sales tax

Cannabis, tobacco, luxury cars still taxed in B.C. Liberal plan

She warned her son about toxic drugs, then he was dead

Donna Bridgman’s son died at the age of 38 in Vancouver

Most Read