A trio of Surrey MLAs are criticizing the NDP for failing to act on a promise to eliminate portables in the Surrey School District. (File photo)

NDP portables-elimination pledge ‘a hollow promise’: Surrey MLAs

Redies, Cadieux, Hunt criticize government inaction

South Surrey’s Opposition MLAs are calling on the provincial NDP government to “step up” with more funding for Surrey schools.

In a joint statement issued Tuesday morning – 2½ weeks after Surrey Board of Education’s vice-chair expressed frustration with the growing use of portables – BC Liberal MLAs Tracy Redies (Surrey-White Rock), Marvin Hunt (Surrey-Cloverdale) and Stephanie Cadieux (Surrey South) criticize B.C. leaders for failing to keep an election promise to eliminate portables in the city.

The trio describe the campaign pledge – without funding to back it up – as “little more than a hollow promise.”

“By 2041, Surrey is projected to surpass Vancouver to become British Columbia’s largest city. As our city continues to grow, so too will capacity pressures on schools. Given the space pressures we are already facing – as well as the expectations for future growth – there is no time to waste in tackling this issue,” the MLAs write.

Surrey School District officials have confirmed that there are now 333 portables in use at the city’s public schools. The total includes 14 new ones that arrived for the 2018-19 school year – an addition board of education vice-chair Terry Allen has said is “probably not going to be enough.”

READ MORE: Surrey school district’s portable count rises to 333: Allen

(Allen had initally told Black Press Media that the district had 347 portables now, however, that total was later attributed to “unclear information” around the district’s purchase of the 14 new units.)

“I started to think that as much as the new provincial government has OK’d new schools and everything, unless they change the system we’re never going to get ahead of this,” Allen told Black Press Media last month. “We can’t put in for schools until we actually do the head counts. The kids are already there. It’s absolutely ridiculous. We’ll always be moving portables, purchasing portables, we’re chasing our own tail.”

The MLAs claim the former Liberal government recognized the need for action and “had a plan in place to reduce the number of portables in Surrey.”

“But despite a promise to eliminate portables in Surrey within four years, we’ve seen the NDP government spending less on building schools throughout the province than our former government had budgeted,” the MLAs state.

Education Minister Rob Fleming, however, told Black Press Media last month that his government was trying to get a handle on “the backlog that we inherited from the previous government.” He noted that portable use went up by 50 per cent under the Liberals’ reign.

The NDP plan, Fleming said, is to “start eliminating portables aggressively in Surrey” by 2021.

Just Posted

VIDEO: A new Hive climbing/fitness facility coming to Surrey in 20,000-sq.-ft. space

‘Bouldering’ and other activities planned at site near Pattullo Bridge

Guatemala mission offers hope, health

Peninsula team to visit remote villages, build a home, in Piedra Blanca

PHOTOS: Surrey teacher’s annual fitness fundraiser raises $23K in six years

‘Zumbathon’ led by Elaine Chong draws 350 people to Fleetwood Park Secondary gym

Police investigating after 14-year-old boy pepper sprayed at Surrey mall

Surrey RCMP say two males fled the scene before officers arrived on scene at Guildford Town Centre

Delta’s first cricket pitch slated for Delview Park

About 200 active players in the city are playing on BC Mainland Cricket League teams in other cities

VIDEO: Canada’s flag turns 54 today

The maple leaf design by George Stanley made its first appearance Feb. 15, 1965

Workshop with ‘accent reduction’ training cancelled at UBC

The workshop was cancelled the same day as an email was sent out to international students

Former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell accused of sexual touching

Accuser went to police, interviewed by Britian’s Daily Telegraph

Avalanche control planned tomorrow on Highway 1

The highway will be closed in the morning east of Revelstoke

Judge rules Abbotsford home must be sold after son tries to evict mom

Mom to get back down payment and initial expenses

Mayors approve SkyTrain extension to UBC

Next step is a business plan and public consultation

Trump officially declares national emergency to build border wall

President plans to siphon billions from federal military construction and counterdrug efforts

Snow turns to slush, rain as it warms up across B.C.’s south coast

Some areas are already covered by more than half a metre of snow following three separate storms

Father to be charged with first-degree murder in Amber Alert case

11-year-old Riya Rajkumar was found dead in her father’s home in Brampton, Ontario

Most Read