Dario Bartoli, 15, died on Dec. 13, 2014 after being attacked in Bakerview Park . (RCMP handout photo)

Dario Bartoli, 15, died on Dec. 13, 2014 after being attacked in Bakerview Park . (RCMP handout photo)

‘No updates’ on five-year anniversary of South Surrey teen’s violent death

15-year-old Dario Bartoli died early Dec. 13, 2014 after being attacked in park

Friday (Dec. 13) marked the five-year anniversary of the violent death of South Surrey teen Dario Bartoli, who, with a friend, was attacked in 2014 in Bakerview Park, located at 18 Avenue and 154 Street.

READ MORE: Boy, 15, killed in Surrey assault

But while police said last week that the file is still “definitely an active investigation,” they also said there are no updates that they can share.

“Unfortunately, no further details,” Integrated Homicide Investigation Team spokesman Sgt. Frank Jang said Thursday, in response to inquiries from Peace Arch News.

As well, Jang said there’s no plan to again ask the public for information that could lead police to those responsible.

It’s been 18 months since that last happened, when Crime Stoppers announced in June 2018 that the unsolved homicide was its ‘Crime of the Week.’

READ MORE: Unsolved South Surrey homicide named ‘Crime of the Week’

“Bartoli and his friend were beaten; but, they managed to run to a residence in the 15600 block of 18th Ave, where the police and emergency services personnel were summoned,” the Crime Stoppers appeal stated.

“It’s been over three years, and although this is still an open and active case, thus far it has not been solved and no arrests have been made.”

Bartoli, 15, died at Peace Arch Hospital just a few hours after he and a friend were assaulted in Bakerview Park, in what police described at the time as an “alcohol-fueled altercation that turned tragic.”

It was Surrey’s 16th homicide that year, and occurred just three days after the smothering death of eight-year-old Teagan Batstone shocked the Semiahmoo Peninsula.

READ MORE: Child’s body found in car trunk in South Surrey, woman arrested

READ MORE: Mother’s choice to kill daughter a breach of trust that ‘could not be more abhorrent’

In that case, Teagan’s mother Lisa Batstone was found guilty in March of second-degree murder, and learned this past September that she will have to wait 15 years before she can apply for parole – a sentence she plans to appeal.

In Bartoli’s case, police said in December 2015 that they “can’t move forward” without the public.

“We know there’s people who haven’t talked to us,” then IHIT-spokesperson Sgt. Stephanie Ashton said at the time.

According to court documents filed by Bartoli’s mother in 2017, when she launched a civil suit against the province and a 911 dispatcher in connection with her son’s death – alleging negligence on the part of the dispatcher who fielded the call for help early Dec. 13, 2014 “caused and/or contributed” to the outcome – Bartoli and his friend, 14, were walking home from McDonald’s at around 2 a.m. when they were violently assaulted by a group of unknown males.

“During the assault Dario was stabbed several times in the abdominal area and struck on the head with a crowbar,” the civil claim states. “He was seriously injured and bleeding profusely.”

The claim alleged the dispatcher erroneously entered information regarding the call that resulted in a slower response by paramedics, given the severity of the incident.

Transported to PAH, and despite extensive efforts, Bartoli was pronounced dead around 10 a.m. that day.



tholmes@peacearchnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

(Photo: Amy Reid)
VIDEO: 2020 Community Leader Awards recognize Surrey’s unsung heroes

They don’t often receive recognition and don’t necessarily have a high profile in the community

Lisa Werring, Surrey Christmas Bureau boss, inside the charity’s new home. (Submitted photo)
‘Toys, toys, toys, we need toys’: Surrey Christmas Bureau calls for donations

‘It’s been a challenging season to say the least. Every day is a new adventure,’ says bureau boss Lisa Werring

Sukhi Sandhu, organizer of Wake Up Surrey. (File photo)
Wake Up Surrey welcomes Lipinski as city’s new police chief

But Surrey Police Service will not solve Surrey’s gang violence on its own, Sukhi Sandhu says

(Delta Police Department photo)
Cannabis edibles found in Halloween bag lead police to illegal lab in North Delta

Delta police arrested a man and a woman while executing a warrant at a residential property Nov. 20

Preparations are made for a video recording at White Rock Baptist Church that will be part of this weekend’s Christmas on the Peninsula online event. (White Rock Baptist Church Facebook photo)
Christmas on the Peninsula moves online due to COVID-19 restrictions

Annual event – normally held in uptown White Rock – set for Saturday, Nov. 28

People wearing face masks to help curb the spread of COVID-19 cross a street in downtown Vancouver, on Sunday, November 22, 2020. The use of masks is mandatory in indoor public and retail spaces in the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. reports 17 COVID deaths, 1,933 new cases as hospitalizations surge over the weekend

There are 277 people in hospital, of whom 59 are in ICU or critical care

An aerial shot of Cedar Valley Lodge this past August, LNG Canada’s newest accommodation for workers at the project site in Kitimat. This is where several employees are isolating after a COVID-19 outbreak was declared last Thursday (Nov. 19). (Photo courtesy of LNG Canada)
Forty-one positive COVID-19 cases associated with the LNG Canada site outbreak in Kitimat

Thirty-four of the 41 cases remain active, according to Northern Health

7-year-old Mackenzie Hodge from Penticton sent a hand-written letter to premiere John Horgan asking if she’d be able to see her elf, Ralph under the new coronavirus restrictions. (John Horgan / Twitter)
Elf on the shelf an acceptable house guest, B.C. premier tells Penticton girl

A 7-year-old from Penticton penned a letter asking if she’d be allowed to see her elf this year

Workers arrive at the Lynn Valley Care Centre seniors home, in North Vancouver, B.C., on Saturday, March 14, 2020. It was the site of Canada’s first COVID-19 outbreak in a long-term care facility. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Rapid tests ‘not a panacea’ for care homes, Dr. Bonnie Henry says

B.C. lacks capacity for daily tests of thousands of workers

A woman being arrested at a Kelowna Value Village after refusing to wear a mask on Nov. 22.(@Jules50278750/Twitter)
VIDEO: Woman arrested for refusing to wear mask at Kelowna Value Village

RCMP claims the woman was uncooperative with officers, striking them a number of times and screaming

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

B.C. Liberal MLA Shirley Bond questions NDP government ministers in the B.C. legislature, Feb. 19, 2020. (Hansard TV)
Cabinet veteran Shirley Bond chosen interim leader of B.C. Liberals

28-member opposition prepares for December legislature session

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, November 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
COVID-19: What do rising positivity rates mean for B.C.? It’s not entirely clear

Coronavirus cases are on the rise but the province has not unveiled clear thresholds for further measures

A rider carves a path on Yanks Peak Saturday, Nov. 21. Two men from Prince George went missing on the mountain the next day. One of them, Colin Jalbert, made it back after digging out his sled from four feet under the snow. The other, Mike Harbak, is still missing. Local search and rescue teams went out looking Monday, Nov. 23. (Sam Fait Photo)
‘I could still be the one out there’: Snowmobiler rescued, 1 missing on northern B.C. mountain

As Quesnel search and rescue teams search for the remaining rider, Colin Jalbert is resting at home

Most Read