One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

Andrew Jongbloets was found guilty Friday of the lesser charge manslaughter in the 2014 deaths of 23-year-old Matthew Hennigar and 22-year-old Kalvin Andy in Anahim Lake in B.C.’s Cariboo/Chilcotin region.

The two others accused in the deaths, Christian Craciun and Serena Rhem, were acquitted in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster. The three had been charged with second-degree murder.

On Dec. 26, 2014, the Anahim Lake RCMP received a report just before midnight of shots being fired at a home in the 2100 block of Dorsey Road.

READ MORE: Charges dropped against Mecham and Mack in Anahim Lake homicides

READ MORE: Trial underway at B.C. Supreme Court for Anahim Lake murders

Upon arrival, police found Hennigar and Andy dead. Both Aboriginal, Hennigar lived in Anahim Lake and Andy was from Bella Coola.

Police said the victims and accused were known to one another, although their relationships and the motive for the killings were not released at the time.

On Friday, the judge granted an application from the defence lawyer to apply a publication ban on all evidence heard during trial. Another accused, Bryan “Everett” O’Reilly, is set to have his first-degree murder trial heard in January.

Last year, charges were dropped against Lucille Mack, 33, and Steven Mecham, 22, who were each facing two counts of manslaughter using a firearm in the case.

More to come.


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘Potentially life-threatening’ injuries in South Surrey crash

152 Street closed in both directions between Colebrook Road and 40 Avenue

No final high school game for Surrey all-stars; six scholarship winners named

COVID-19 forces cancellation of all-star games for boys and girls at Enver Creek gym April 3

Surrey school district’s meal program to continue during COVID-19

‘We didn’t want our students or their families to have one more thing to worry about,’ says board chair

COVID-19: Daily update on the pandemic in Surrey, White Rock and beyond

MARCH 31: School district meal program to continue, viral TP challenge video includes White Rock

Surrey Santa Parade may be cancelled

Annual parade in Cloverdale has seen security costs skyrocket

‘The Office’ star John Krasinski offers Some Good News in trying times

‘The human spirit still found a way to break through and blow us all away’

No laws in B.C. to force businesses to offer refunds, even during a pandemic

Black Press Media talks to Consumer Protection BC on how to navigate during COVID-19

COVID-19 essential workers can apply for B.C. pre-school child care

Parent referral opens, providers offered emergency funding

Most abiding by COVID-19 rules, back fines, arrests of those who aren’t: poll

But 64 per cent said they’ve personally witnessed people not respecting the measures

Walkers, grocery store customers courteous with physical distancing in B.C.

Some cyclists also acknowledge each other and walkers as well on a wide trail

B.C. worker advocate group calls for more sick days, protected medical leave

COVID-19 highlights need for changes to workers legislation: Retail Action Network

Lower Mainland cop awarded almost $3.2 million for 2 car crashes

Jeffery Neufeldt of Mission was injured on the job in collisions in 2013 and 2016

Most Read