Our smart meter was ‘melted’

A Cloverdale restaurant owner still has lingering questions about a problem with his smart meter.

Cloverdale businessman Aaron Hotell says this meter socket fitting was damaged when the smart meter was installed.

It started as a bit of a mystery.

It was around 10:30 p.m. on a recent Tuesday, and the last customers of the evening were still finishing up their dinners when the lights at Cloverdale’s Vault Restaurant started to noticeably flicker and wane.

At first, people thought it was a not-so-subtle hint that it was time to leave – like shutting off the music at closing time at a night club.

“The lights would dim and go back on,” recalls Vault restaurant co-owner Aaron Hotell. “It was constantly surging. Customers said, ‘Are you trying to get us to leave?’”

Hotell said his staff were baffled; nobody knew what was causing the lights to dim.

Curiosity turned into panic the next morning, when staff arrived to find the power was out in half the building, affecting the deep freezer, walk-in coolers and refrigerators storing meat and food.

With thousands of dollars in food hanging in the balance, there was no time to waste. So Hotell called in an electrician, who soon discovered there was a problem with the smart meter installed at the back of the restaurant.

A BC Hydro trouble technician was dispatched to turn off the power to the building, and Hotell’s electrician was given authorization to remove and replace the smart meter, which had been installed several months previously.

The original smart meter was damaged – it was melted and covered in soot.

One of the four meter sockets was damaged as well; it appeared like it had been jammed into place, causing it to bend and crumple, something the electrician believed was causing the power to “arc out”, and creating power surges and the eventual loss of power to half the building on Oct. 16, Hotell said.

The restaurant’s power problem was resolved, but serious questions lingered.

According to spokesman Greg Alexis, BC Hydro has nearly completed its installation of 1.7 million wireless electricity meters, with very few problems reported.

There have been more than 1,700 cases where there was pre-existing damage to a customer’s meter socket, including eroded writing, improper meter socket installations and electrical by-passes.

Damaged meter sockets are usually the owner’s responsibility, but BC Hydro inspects them at the time of installation and offers to fix them at no charge if they are damaged.

“In this particular case, as the customer did contact an electrician to come out and repair their meter socket, we will reimburse them for that expense,” Alexis said.

“Our installers check the meter base during the meter exchange,” he said. “If they discover a problem with the customer’s base, we contact the homeowner and offer to bring in a qualified electrician to fix the problem at our expense.”

After media reports of fires associated with the program, BC Hydro commissioned a study of residential fire reports by Surrey Fire Chief Len Garis and researcher Joseph Clare.

It shows electrical fires have declined since new meters began.

Alexis said there has been no evidence where a smart meter has been the cause of a fire, and added the meters themselves don’t carry a charge.

Additionally, prior to the smart meter program, BC Hydro “routinely exchanged up to 40,000 meters per year,” he said.

Customers who do notice sustained flickering lights throughout their home or business should contact BC Hydro. They should also ensure that any modifications to their home or business that involve wiring is done by a qualified electrician.

Hotell, meanwhile, fears his restaurant had a close call – he wonders what might have happened if the problem hadn’t been detected right away.

“We’re talking about 240 volts – it’s the main power coming into the building,” he said.

The smart meter was installed several months ago, about the same time as a number of other businesses in the historic town centre.

“We’re questioning how many other meters were improperly installed,” he says. “With the age of all the buildings in the area, are we going to have more problems?”

Hotell wants assurance that other smart meters in the historic downtown were done correctly.

“I’d love it if they paid for at least my electrician. I just don’t want to think that everyone in town has been installed wrong. I just want assurance.”

At presstime, BC Hydo’s customer service department and Hotell had not yet connected to resolve the issue of cost.

Follow the Cloverdale Reporter on Twitter and Facebook. View our print edition online.

Surrey North Delta Leader

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

All Safe Surrey Coalition council members must ‘step up’ over ‘bad taste’ tweets, rivals say

Slate’s posts on social media in ‘bad taste,’ councillor says

Surrey sports groups grapple with refunds, registration, restrictions and more

‘Our biggest problem is going to be retraining the public because they can’t be there’

Low-cost bicycle repair shop opens in Cloverdale

Cloverdale Community Cycles starts up in church parking lot

First degree murder charge laid in South Surrey shooting death

Wayne Duncan, 46, was killed on Sept. 6, 2019

Surrey mayor denies Councillor’s motion seeking national PPE site for the city

Personal protection equipment manufacturers already spread out through Surrey, McCallum says

VIDEO: A Vancouver Island black bear takes weekend nap in eagle tree

Videos captured by Terry Eissfeldt shows the bear arriving Saturday night and sleeping in on Sunday

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

We’re asking you to lock arms with us, as we look to better days ahead

Two more COVID-19 cases reported by Langley long term care facility

One resident, one staffer have tested positive for the coronavirus

George Floyd asphyxiated by sustained pressure: family autopsy

Death sparked a wave of protests across the U.S. and abroad

Suspect sought in alleged assault, hate crime on Metro Vancouver bus: transit police

The woman then allegedly punched the teenager in the head multiple times

COVID-19: B.C. commercial landlords can’t evict if they decline rent assistance

Emergency order ‘incentive’ for federal program, Carole James says

B.C. Hockey League prepping for 2020-21

League reviewing different scenarios and start times in compliance with provincial regulations

Abbotsford International Airshow opening 50-year-old time capsule

Bronze time capsule was put together to commemorate AIA as Canada’s National Airshow

Most Read