People line up early to drop off junk for free at ‘Pop-Up’ Surrey site

How do you get Surreyites out of the house early? Tell them where to get rid of all their unwanted junk – for free.

John Schneider

SURREY — How do you get Surreyites out of the house early on a Saturday morning? Tell them you know a place where they can get rid of all their unwanted junk – for free.

And so it was on a recent Saturday as the City of Surrey held its fourth “Pop-Up Junk Drop” at the Surrey Operations Centre yard in the 6500-block of 148th Street.

Although the event was set to start at 10 a.m., the lineup just to get in the yard stretched south down the hill to 64th Avenue, and north up the hill to 68th Avenue, or beyond, by 9:30 a.m.

Rob Costanzo (pictured) stood in the yard among the trailers, bins, excavators and scores of engineers working the event as the gates officially opened.

He looked simultaneously surprised and satisfied.

Costanzo is one of the drivers of this whole “junk drop” concept. He’s Surrey’s manager of engineering operations and he likes what he sees – because it’s far preferable to the alternative.

“These events are really being hosted to tackle the illegal dumping we have in the city,” he said. “Our costs have escalated significantly in the last 10 years. In 2005, we were at $500,000 (to clean up illegal dumping). We’re now upwards of a million dollars.”

Costanzo (pictured) points to two main factors for the increase.

“Number one: The cost of disposal is very high. Ten years ago, it was $65 a ton, today it’s over $130 a ton at a regional transfer station,” he said. “And there’s the convenience factor. We have just one transfer station in the City of Surrey, which is located at the top northeast corner of the city.”

The Pop-Up Junk Drop events are so popular that Costanzo and crew were forced to double available space after the first installment. Though they thought they’d see 500 to 700 vehicles at the first event, 2,000 showed up.

Costanzo said more than 260 tons of material was collected from about 3,300 vehicles in the first two events. And he says they “diverted just over 70 per cent of materials collected” and “hauled away over 30 loads of reusable material.”

John Schneider was among the many people who didn’t own a vehicle big enough for his junk. He rented a U-Haul trailer and hoped he’d get back for a second round.

“I have metal here, plastic, cardboard, furniture – a whole variety. My son has been after me to clean the house and get ready for moving. They want us to move closer to them. My wife has cancer, so we’re not sure what the situation will be.”

Danny Pereira was nearby, looking quite comfortable aboard his excavator. He normally uses the machine to “fix sewer systems” and “dig underground,” but today Pereira was busy scooping unsalvageable garbage from the pavement and dropping it into a very large bin.

It’s a relatively easy job, to be sure, though Pereira says the junk drop at least gives him a chance to “smash everything… that’s kind of fun.”

The next Pop-Up Junk Drop event is set for Saturday, Sept 17 and the final event is on Oct. 1 at Surrey Operations Centre, 6549 148th St. Click here for more information.

gordgoble@gmail.com

 

Just Posted

Surrey mom says Liberal budget falls short in helping people with autism

Louise Witt, whose son has autism, says budget provisions like ‘putting a Band-Aid on a cancer’

South Surrey mother guilty of second-degree murder in death of daughter

Lisa Batstone ‘took seven decades of Teagan’s life’

Surrey RCMP release sketches of sex assault suspect after woman ‘groped’ in Newton

Police say the woman got away but the suspect allegedly followed her to her front door

Missing Surrey woman ‘located and safe,’ police say

Kayla Amy Smith, 30, who was reported missing last month

‘Scrappy’ Cloverdale team rallies but falls short in bid for B.C. hockey championship

In the end, Colts placed third in the province at top-tier Bantam tournament in Prince George

STRONG, PERSEVERING AND PROUD: Surrey Pride celebrates 20 years with biggest party yet

PART ONE: A special series on the past, present and future of our LGBTQ+ community

‘Families torn apart:’ Truck driver in fatal Broncos crash gets 8-year sentence

Judge Inez Cardinal told court in Melfort, Sask., that Sidhu’s remorse and guilty plea were mitigating factors

Boy who went missing from park remains largest probe in Victoria police history

The four-year old Victoria boy went missing without a trace on March 24, 1991

Six ‘distraction thefts’ in two days spark warning to seniors by Vancouver police

Distraction thefts are used to steal jewelry off the necks of unsuspecting women

WestJet sticking with Boeing 737 Max once planes certified to fly

WestJet had expected to add two more of the planes this year to increase its fleet to 13

B.C. driver caught going 207 km/h on motorcycle along Okanagan Highway

A motorcyclist was caught by Kelowna RCMP going 207 km/h on Highway 97C

Protective human chain forms around B.C. mosque for Friday prayer

Vancouver Islanders stand arm-in-arm to show support in aftermath of New Zealand shootings

WATCH: Popular Glow festival faces cancellation in dispute over farm land

Langley’s Darvonda Nurseries received a compliance assessment notice from the ALC on March 5.

B.C. fire department offers tips to keep your home safe during wildfire season

With wildfire season getting closer, the Penticton Fire Dept. offer tips to keep your home safe

Most Read