Police still investigating fatal hit-and-run on Langley Bypass

The suspect was working with Surrey RCMP in reconstructing a crash that took the life of a Surrey RCMP officer.

It has been seven months since a 37-year-old unidentified Langley man was run over and killed in a hit and run crash, which involves a Surrey RCMP consultant as a suspect.

But possible criminal charges against the suspect are likely a year or more away, say Surrey RCMP.

“This is a high-profile death and our serious crimes section has taken over the investigation,” said Surrey RCMP spokesperson Curtis Harling.

Given the suspect in this case is a civilian who was working for the Surrey RCMP at the time of the fatal crash, it makes the investigation more complex, he added. Investigators are having to gather all the analysis from various agencies and from reconstructionists.

Ironically, the suspect was working with Surrey RCMP’s traffic section reconstructing and re-creating a 2012 fatal crash that killed one of their own officers, Const. Adrian Oliver. Oliver died in November 2012, at the intersection of 64 Avenue and 148 Street, when his cruiser was in collision with a semi truck.

The consultant was driving the semi he used to re-create Oliver’s fatal crash. He had been working that day (Aug. 7) in the re-creation of the crash.

After working on the re-creation, the suspect civilian was driving a semi eastbound in the curb lane in the 19500 block of Langley Bypass, when the semi allegedly struck and killed the 37-year-old pedestrian. Surrey RCMP say the semi driver didn’t stop to render assistance but kept driving.

The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.

The crash took place in the overnight hours. Police put out a description of the older model blue semi cab to the media and by mid-afternoon, Surrey RCMP had located and seized the truck. The driver of the vehicle was located and was questioned by Surrey RCMP that same day. He was released without charges.

The victim’s name has not been released.

The names of deceased people aren’t released while criminal investigations are going on, said B.C. Coroner Service’s Robert Fisher at the time of the man’s death.

Surrey North Delta Leader