Improperly store oily rags were the cause of a large fire in a West End condo building on Sunday, according to Vancouver Fire and Rescue.
The fire department said the three-alarm fire in the 1200 block of Pacific Avenue was sparked when linseed oil-soaked rags auto-ignited.
“Linseed oil and derivatives self-heat, which can be accelerated by confining them (balling up rags) leading to autoignition,” the fire department said in a social media post.
“Store oily rags in metal or soak with water.”
Fire Investigators have determined Sunday’s #thirdalarm 1200 blk Pacific was caused by improperly stored oily rags. Linseed oil & derivatives self-heat, which can be accelerated by confining them (balling up rags) leading to autoignition. Store oily rags in metal or soak w/ water pic.twitter.com/aVOqYnbuIc
— Vancouver Fire (@VanFireRescue) June 4, 2019
— Meggers 💫 (@MegsterT) June 3, 2019
Big fire visible in Vancouver Westend, hope every one got out ok pic.twitter.com/SQihQSPEJl
— tea (@PcOfSht_Doodles) June 3, 2019