NEW WESTMINSTER â€” The trial of a high-profile Surrey broadcaster charged in an August 2010 shooting was adjourned in B.C. Supreme Court Thursday after an issue arose over recent Crown disclosure in the case.
Justice Kenneth Ball said he was disappointed to have to delay the trial of Maninder Gill until April 29, 2015, but accepted submissions by Gill’s lawyer Richard Peck and Crown Don Wilson that there was no alternative to the delay.
Details of the new information provided to the defence were not revealed in court.
Gill was to take the stand in his own defence Thursday, after the prosecution presented several witnesses over the last week to the shooting outside Surrey’s Guru Nanak temple on Aug. 28, 2010.
Among the witnesses who testified against Gill was victim Harjit Atwal, who was shot in the leg in the temple parking lot after attended the same wedding as Gill.
Atwal was involved in a long-simmering dispute with Gill at the time of the shooting.
Gill, the 51-year-old managing director of Radio India, is charged with aggravated assault and several firearms offences and is out on bail.
Supporters of both the accused and the victim packed courtroom 102 of the New Westminster Law Courts.
After the brief appearance, Gill told reporters outside that he wasn’t bothered by another delay in the case.
"If the courts get new evidence why I should be frustrated? I believe in the Canadian justice system, so I respect that," Gill said.
Atwal, on the other hand, did express concern at the length of time the trial’s taking. He blamed the delay on Gill.
"I am frustrated. It’s almost four years and going into the fifth year. He was saying on the radio, the truth is going to come out. Where the truth is now? If he’s a man, he should come out and tell the truth," Atwal said.
Atwal, 58, said the Crown had not told him specifically what the issue was that had resulted in the adjournment.
For more stories by The Vancouver Sun, click here.