The South Surrey Bailey bridge replacement project has been delayed until next year.
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure told Peace Arch News Friday that the work to replace the Bailey bridge – which crosses the Nicomekl River on King George Boulevard – has been deferred until the New Year because the ministry is waiting for environmental approval from the province.
“This process took longer than anticipated,” the statement said. “The current 10,000 Kg weight restriction load limit will remain in place until the replacement of the bridge.”
Last month, the ministry told PAN that the bridge, which is to be replaced with a steel “superstructure,” would be closed for approximately six weeks, tentatively starting Oct. 16.
A resident told PAN last week that an illuminating sign was stationed in front of the bridge advising of upcoming construction work. The sign is still there, however, it has been turned off.
The Bailey bridge has been operational since the early 1980s, according to the ministry.