THE REAL PHOTO: Linda Annis, executive director with Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers holds a note commonly posted on doors when people go on vacation. (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)

THE REAL PHOTO: Linda Annis, executive director with Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers holds a note commonly posted on doors when people go on vacation. (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)

Surrey councillor slams mayor’s slate for doctoring her photo, quote in social media attack ad

Linda Annis says the Safe Surrey Coalition has been running “fake news” and a doctored photo of her in an attack ad on the slate’s twitter account and its Facebook page.

Surrey city Councillor Linda Annis is taking the Safe Surrey Coalition to task for running “fake news” and a doctored photo of her in an attack ad on the slate’s twitter account and its Facebook page.

“I’m very deeply disappointed that they would come up with what I would call fake news, would cut and paste old obsolete statements that were completely out of context with the current issue at hand, and put together this fake ad,” the Surrey First councillor said. “I think in Surrey our politics should be above that kind of behaviour.”

The photo has Annis holding up a piece of paper with the message: “A vote against the financial capital plan = A vote against critical new programs and city amenities.”

“That’s absolutely a doctored photo and the quote, I’ve not held that sign up ever,” Annis told the Now-Leader. “The yellow piece of paper with those words on, no, that’s totally doctored.”

The real photo shows Annis holding up a yellow piece of paper containing the message “No deliveries please while we’re away. Thanks.”

The doctored photo is beneath a quote attributed to Annis that states she said “Forget about new city infrastructure, road repairs, new rinks or much-needed additional police and firefighters for our growing city,” in the Surrey Now-Leader on Nov. 18, 2020, when in fact the quote actually appeared in the Now-Leader on Nov. 18, 2019, when Annis had been referring to the last budget – not this one – and these aforementioned items being swallowed up by the policing transition.

“Forget about new city infrastructure, road repairs, new rinks or much-needed additional police and firefighters for our growing city. This budget has just one thing on its mind and that’s funding the mayor’s police department. There’s nothing else on his radar screen,” is what her full quote reads from 2019.

The quote, an upset Annis stressed, was from “one year ago, in 2019. It was in response to the proposed budget at the time. So the message was completely taken out of context, and it related to the 2019 budget.

“The context of what I was saying back in 2019, there was no money for any of those things because eveything was going to the police transition. So the whole statement was taken completely out of context,” Annis said. “I was shocked that the Safe Surrey Coalition would do something like that, particularly when the facts aren’t straight.

“You challenge each other based on facts, and there’s nothing wrong with us disagreeing on issues, but you do it based on facts, you don’t make up the facts.”

READ ALSO: New Surrey Police force ‘swallowing up’ city’s funds, Annis says

READ ALSO: Surrey mayor, councillor, a canyon apart on proposed tax hike

Annis said she sent a note to Mayor Doug McCallum on November 18th asking that the post be removed from the Safe Surrey Coalition twitter and Facebook accounts and that he advise her once it’s been done. “As of this morning, I’ve not had a reply from him nor has the post been removed,” she said. The Now-Leader has also sought comment from the mayor. Amber Stowe, the city’s communications project manager, replied in an email Monday that “As this is a political matter, please reach out to Safe Surrey Coalition regarding this enquiry.”

It’s not the first time the SSC twitter account – described as the “Official Page for Doug McCallum’s Safe Surrey Coalition” – has made headlines for launching attacks. In June, it targeted the RCMP, which the city intends to replace with a city-made police force.

A since-deleted post accusing the RCMP of murder included a link to a news story about the Independent Investigations Office of B.C. recommending charges against five officers in the death of a Prince George man in 2017. In response Mayor McCallum told the Now-Leader at the time that he didn’t agree with the post, said it won’t ever happen again, and claimed it “was sent out by an unauthorized person.”

“We’ve corrected that and it won’t happen again,” McCallum told the Now-Leader at the time. “I have, and certainly Safe Surrey Coalition, have tremendous respect for the RCMP.”

READ ALSO: Safe Surrey Coalition continues to cast RCMP in poor light on twitter

READ ALSO: Safe Surrey under fire for ‘sickening’ social media posts

READ ALSO: All Safe Surrey Coalition council members must ‘step up’ over ‘bad taste’ tweets, rivals say

Councillor Laurie Guerra, of the Safe Surrey Coalition, said because she’s not on Twitter she’s not aware of any Twitter post, but that she has seen the Facebook post “that I believe was the same as the Twitter post.

“I had no problem with the content of it by Councillor Annis did email myself and Councillor (Allison) Patton and she said that the date on the quote was wrong and so I let Safe Surrey Coalition know,” Guerra said, adding she doesn’t know if the post was subsequently taken down. “I just know that I did let them know that.

“I don’t have any problem with the content of it, other than the fact I wanted to make sure that the dates were correct.”

homelessphoto

Safe Surrey councillors Laurie Guerra and Doug Elford. (Now-Leader file photos)

Guerra agreed with Annis that fighting on issues is fair game, just as long as it’s based on facts. “Absolutely, absolutely I agree,” Guerra said.

Councillor Doug Elford, also of the Safe Surrey Coalition, told the Now-Leader on Monday that he has no problem with the attack ad.

“To me I see it as truthful in a sense, so I really don’t have a problem with that posting, to be honest with you,” Elford said. He said if the date is incorrect, “it has to be corrected.”

He said he’s “not aware” of the context of the photo.

Asked if he will ask that the social media posting be fixed, Elford replied “At this point in time, no.”

Asked if it’s fair to take someone’s words out of context and using it against them, he replied “I can’t answer that question.”



tom.zytaruk@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Tom on Twitter

City of Surreymunicipal politics

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Welcome to your park sign marks the spot where 84th Avenue will continue east from King George Boulevard to 140th Street as part of a $13 million road project. (Photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Road Rage: opposition mounts anew to Surrey’s plan for 84 Ave. south of Bear Creek Park

Same place, same project, same fight as Surrey prepares once again to connect 84th Avenue between King George and 140th Street in Newton

Guns and other items seized by Surrey Gang Enforcement Team (SGET) during a vehicle stop in Newton on Saturday, April 17. (submitted photo: Surrey RCMP)
Drugs, guns seized during vehicle stop in Surrey

Police say officers found ‘multiple baggies’ of suspected fentanyl, meth

The Surrey Board of Trade has launched a new ‘Say Yes to the Vaccine’ campaign. (File photo)
Surrey Board of Trade launches campaign to promote COVID-19 vaccination

Vaccinations are the only solution to re-opening the econony, says board

The volume of visitors to White Rock’s Marine Drive over the weekend has led council to consider special measures this week. (Aaron Hinks photo)
White Rock council rejects resident-only parking for waterfront

Other health and safety measures to be considered in a special meeting Wednesday

South Surrey’s Paul Cottrell, who works with the DFO, tows a grey whale out of Semiahmoo Bay Sunday. (Contributed photo)
Dead whale floating near White Rock towed to shore for necropsy

Animal has been dead since at least April 15

FILE – NDP Leader John Horgan, right, and local candidate Mike Farnworth greet one another with an elbow bump during a campaign stop in Coquitlam, B.C., on Friday, September 25, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. won’t be using random individual road stops to enforce travel rules: Safety Minister

Minister Mike Farnworth says travel checks only being considered at major highway junctions, ferry ports

Westbound Highway 1 traffic near Herrling Island is backed up a long way following a vehicle incident. (Photo/Trish Dunbar)
Pedestrian killed in crash near Agassiz

Woman in her 50s struck by moving van

FILE – Health-care workers wave to people clapping and yelling thank you to the frontline workers during the 7 p.m.-tribute outside the Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver, B.C. Wednesday, April 8, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. nurses issue plea for all to follow health orders as hospitalizations spike

Nurses worried about strain COVID-19 is having on hospital capacity, care

University of Victoria rowing coach Barney Williams is photographed in the stands during the Greater Victoria Invitational at CARSA Performance Gym at the University of Victoria in Victoria, B.C., on Friday, November 29, 2019. The University of Victoria says Williams has resigned effective immediately. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito)
University of Victoria women’s rowing coach resigns by mutual agreement

Lawsuit filed last summer accused Barney Williams of verbal abuse

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark. (Black Press Media files)
Former B.C. premier to testify at money laundering hearing today

Attorney General David Eby has been added to the witness list as well

Selina Robinson is shown in Coquitlam, B.C., on Friday November 17, 2017. British Columbia’s finance minister says her professional training as a family therapist helped her develop the New Democrat government’s first budget during the COVID-19 pandemic, which she will table Tuesday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. to table budget that’s expected to deal with COVID-19 pandemic and beyond

Robinson released a fiscal update last December that said the impact of the pandemic on B.C.’s economy was uncertain

A man has died after being shot at Coquitlam’s Town Centre Park the evening of Monday, April 19. (Twitter/IHIT)
1 man dead after shooting at Coquitlam park: IHIT

The gunman is still at large, according to the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team

Most Read