Categories: HomeLocal NewsNews

Surrey man treated for smoke inhalation after Whalley house fire

A 40-year-old Whalley man was taken to Surrey Memorial Hospital Friday morning to be treated for smoke inhalation after a basement suite fire in Whalley, in the 13900-block of 92nd Avenue.

“There was a fire in the furniture, in the living room,” Surrey Battalion Chief Brian Carmichael said. “Right now it’s under investigation.”

A family of four – a man, woman and two school-aged children – living upstairs weren’t harmed.

“The smoke detectors went off and they vacated the building. As far as I know the kids have gone to school today. The upstairs was not involved – minor smoke upstairs.”

But the basement suite sustained “heavy, heavy smoke damage,” Carmichael said.

Surrey firefighters received the call at 7 a.m.



tom.zytaruk@surreynowleader.com
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow Tom on Twitter

Tom Zytaruk

Leave a Comment
Share
Published by
Tom Zytaruk

Recent Posts

Green Team to host nature walk, invasive-species removal event in White Rock

Lower Mainland Green Team members will lead event at Ruth Johnson Park

24 mins ago

B.C. begins forest management overhaul to increase Indigenous participation

Province reasserting control over Crown forests, minister says

2 hours ago

Court proceedings begin in death of Langley’s Carson Crimeni

A 20-year-old has been charge with manslaughter in the case

2 hours ago

Gitanmaax band blocks MCFD workers from taking six-year-old off reserve

Chief councillor told ministry workers that child will remain in the community until further resolution

2 hours ago

B.C. reports 696 new COVID cases, 6 deaths on Wednesday

Vaccinations ticked up barely one-tenth of a percentage point

3 hours ago

Prince Rupert resident wins $5.8 million Lotto

Lotto 6/49 winner bought ticket at Safeway

3 hours ago