Surrey mayor’s gala at unfinished city hall cost taxpayers $450,000, court hears

CITY CENTRE — An extravagant mayor’s gala held on the unfinished job site of Surrey’s “palatial” city hall — a project that appears to be running up to $50-million over budget — cost taxpayers at least $450,000 according to a new lawsuit against the city.

The project’s general contractor, PCL Constructors Westcoast Inc., is the latest in a list of construction companies to sue Surrey for allegedly failing to pay for project work.

The controversial project — originally pitched to taxpayers as a $97-million investment — was scheduled to be completed by September 2013. But contractors including PCL allege Surrey is to blame for changing plans which caused final construction costs to balloon.

The growing number of claims filed by PCL and its subcontractors against Surrey suggest the project’s final bill could approach $150-million, not including tens of millions in long-term financing costs.

As The Province has reported, Ron Fettback of Western Pacific Enterprises (WPE) — a subcontractor suing Surrey and PCL for $6-million in allegedly unpaid work — points to the October 2013 charity gala put on by former Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts as a prime example of wasteful spending on the project.

Fettback claims his company was asked to complete $90,000 worth of gala prep work on the unfinished site that “would have not been performed at all if there was no mayor’s gala.”

“It’s stupid,” Fettback previously told The Province. “Why would you have a gala on a job site that is in trouble, and then have a party and not want to pay the costs associated with it?”

As well, PCL completed $361,700 in unpaid gala prep work according to its court filings, which would bring the alleged cost of the mayor’s gala to at least $450,000.

“Surrey asked PCL to perform extra work for an event known as the Mayor’s Gala,” PCL’s lawsuit states. “PCL performed that work … and with consequent interruptions of and delays to the project schedule. Surrey, in breach of contract, has refused to compensate PCL.”

PCL’s claim says that in 2011 it originally planned to sign a $70-million contract with Surrey to complete the new city hall. But the plan was changed. PCL instead entered a $37.7 million contract to complete a parkade and a clean-energy “geo-exchange” facility for the project. According to the suit, Surrey decided to have PCL complete actual city hall construction through “change orders” — which appear to be a series of small and flexible contracts. According to PCL, this hybrid contracting raised the cost of construction to $86.5-million, for a total contract value of $123-million.

PCL says it was eventually paid $126-million by Surrey, but is still owed over $9-million. PCL also claims Surrey is liable for millions in claims being made against PCL by subcontractors.

However Surrey has hit back with a response and counter-claim against PCL filed April 8 in B.C. Supreme Court.

Surrey says PCL did negligent work and failed to meet “milestone events” in the contract schedule.

Surrey does not owe PCL or its subcontractors any additional money, and “any loss or damage the subcontractors have suffered is due solely to their failures or the failures of PCL,” the city’s response states.

Furthermore, PCL owes the city damages including an estimated $1.6 million for constructing a “deficient and incomplete” geo-exchange energy system, the city claims.

In a previous interview, Watts told The Province work for the “Mayor’s Gala” had to be completed for the charity event to take place as planned.

Surrey’s response to the PCL lawsuit says the city does not owe PCL any money for “extra work” on the gala, and “PCL deprived the city of it ability to mitigate costs associated with the Mayor’s Gala work by representing to the City on several occasions in the fall of 2013 that the (gala) need not be rescheduled or relocated.”

In an interview, Surrey development manager Aubrey Kelly said he believes it is impossible that “extra work” for the mayor’s gala cost $450,000. Kelly said Surrey is trying to reach an out-of-court settlement with PCL. Kelly also maintained that he believes the city hall portion of PCL’s contractual work is still on track for a $97-million budget, despite the mounting lawsuits and questions around other work completed by PCL in the project.

“I think to say that if some of these lawsuits are successful that the project will be $50-million over budget is offbase,” Kelly said.

Calls to PCL management were not returned.

scooper@theprovince.com

twitter.com/scoopercooper

Read more stories from The Province here.

Just Posted

Surrey council approves free two-hour parking at city hall, around hospital

Although council gave its blessing to offer the free parking Monday (Nov. 19), it was already made free last week

Surrey School District says it needs 7 new schools in next decade

Surrey council endorsed the district’s 2019-20 capital plan on Monday, Nov. 19

Surrey Fire Service to provide non-emergency dispatch services for Port Moody

It’s said the move will bring in more than $9,000 a year for the City of Surrey

Second person dies following head-on collision in Surrey

Paige Nagata of Abbotsford was in crash on Nov. 4 that also killed Sarah Dhillon

Man still in hospital after struck by car in Surrey last week

The man was airlifted to hospital with “potential life-threatening” injuries after the incident

White Rock pier light show

Dancing lights highlighted off the water front

Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

Protesters accused the migrants of being messy, ungrateful and a danger to Tijuana; complained about how the caravan forced its way into Mexico, calling it an “invasion.”

Ottawa Redblacks defensive back Jonathan Rose suspended for Grey Cup

Rose was flagged for unnecessary roughness and ejected for contacting an official with 37 seconds left in the first half following a sideline melee after a Tiger-Cats reception.

Mistrial declared in Dennis Oland’s retrial in father’s murder

The verdict from Oland’s 2015 murder trial was set aside on appeal in 2016 and a new trial ordered. Richard Oland, 69, was found dead in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011.

VIDEO: Young hockey players meet legends in Langley

Eight- and nine-year-olds have close encounter with Dionne, Lafleur and Palmateer

Laine scores 3 as Jets double Canucks 6-3

Injury-riddled Vancouver side drops sixth in a row

Deportation averted for Putin critic who feared return to Russia

Elena Musikhina, a vocal critic of the Kremlin, has been granted a two-year visitor’s permit in Canada

B.C. to allow Uber-style ride hailing services to operate in late 2019

Fee will be applied to fund options for disabled people

Auditor general takes aim at Liberals’ fighter-jet plan

Suditor general Michael Ferguson is about to release a new report on Canada’s attempts to buy new fighter jets

Most Read