A Surrey Mountie who shot and killed a 28-year-old man after an exchange of gunfire in Surrey on March 2 has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Surrey Mountie cleared in shooting

No wrongdoing in death of armed driver Adam Purdie at Highway 10 and King George Boulevard earlier this year.

A Surrey Mountie who shot and killed a 28-year-old man after an exchange of gunfire on March 2 has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

An external investigation by Saanich Police, released Wednesday, concluded that an RCMP officer did not contravene the Criminal Code when he fired off 30 rounds from his 9-mm sidearm to reduce the threat posed by Adam Brian Purdie.

Adam PurdiePurdie (left) was found dead in his car with the barrel of a 22-calibre rifle pointed at the cruiser the officer was in.

“(Under the Criminal Code,) the officer has the right to use as much force as he sees necessary to prevent his own injury or death,” said Saanich Police spokesperson Sgt. Dean Jantzen. “One thing (the officer) was very clear with our investigators about is he realized he was going to die.”

Though the fragments from only one 22-calibre bullet were found – inside Purdie’s skull as a result of self-inflicted wounds – two spent casings were found in the Surrey man’s white Chrysler 300.

“We believe he did fire off rounds at the officer,” Jantzen said.

An autopsy determined that a shot to Purdie’s upper chest caused his death, not the self-inflicted head wounds.

Around 10 p.m. on March 2, Purdie caught the attention of undercover cops working on a separate matter near 16 Avenue and 128 Street. A licence plate query determined the registered owner, Purdie, had a history of firearms-related offences and a call was made to have uniformed officers attend.

Forty-five minutes later he was pulled over by an RCMP officer in the 15400 block of 16 Ave. That officer spotted the rifle in the backseat of his car, and Purdie sped away.

“At no time was there a pursuit,” Jantzen said.

Purdie’s vehicle was spotted again 15 minutes later travelling north on King George Boulevard south of Highway 10. Two officers at Highway 10 deployed a spike belt prior to Purdie’s arrival, but he spotted it and swerved to avoid it, striking two civilian vehicles.

“It was (the officer’s) belief that Purdie, by virtue of his dangerous driving and the fact he was known to have a firearm, posed a danger to the public and officers in the immediate area,” Jantzen said.

The officer involved in the shooting used his vehicle to force Purdie off the road. When both vehicles came to a stop, parallel to one another, the officer said he saw the muzzle of Purdie’s assault rifle pointed at him.

He attempted to put his car in reverse, but having struck the Chrysler, the police cruiser was stalled.

“The officer … immediately pulled his firearm and began to shoot at Purdie,” Jantzen said.

The officer emptied 30 rounds from two magazines, many of which did not penetrate the Chrysler door.

“Our investigators firmly believe lives were saved by this officer’s actions,” Jantzen said.

Purdie had recently broken up with an ex-girlfriend and had threatened to harm her and anyone she become involved with, police say. He was convicted in 2003 of firearms offences for threatening a past girlfriend’s new boyfriend with a firearm.

When Purdie was initially pulled over, he was two blocks away from his recent ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend.

“Purdie had obtained the name of a possible new boyfriend through acquaintances,” Jantzen said, adding that based on search results on Purdie’s computer, police believe he was attempting to locate this individual.

The name of the officer involved in the shooting is being withheld at the request of the RCMP.

“He does enjoy privacy rights. At the conclusion of this, and our determination that everything that happened was within the law and that there is no contravention of the Criminal Code, he has the right to privacy,” Jantzen said.

The Mountie, who had more than six years experience when the shooting occurred, has since been transferred out of province, though police say the transfer request was put in prior to the incident.

– with files from Black Press

kslavin@saanichnews.com

Surrey North Delta Leader

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Man pleads guilty to stabbing woman, off-duty cop outside North Delta elementary school

The suspect, whose name is under a publication ban, faced 10 charges in relation to this incident

Surrey RCMP boss Brian Edwards on moving forward, and what keeps him awake at night

Edwards spoke with Now-Leader reporter Tom Zytaruk about what he’s learning and hopes to accomplish as Surrey’s top cop

PHOTOS: Cloverdale’s Coldest Night of the Year charity walk raises $125K

Annual event sees more than 500 walkers take part

All-Surrey battle for South Fraser boys basketball title

At Tamanawis, the top four teams will go to provincials

Hopes are for ‘focus on Surrey investments’ when Horgan speaks in March

Luncheon at golf course planned by Surrey Board of Trade

VIDEO: Illicit drug overdoses killed 981 in B.C. in 2019, down 38%

Chief coroner says figures were down about a third in the province’s fourth year of the opioid crisis

UPDATE: Protesters dismantle blockade on Maple Ridge tracks

West Coast Express train service is expected to run again Tuesday morning

VIDEO: B.C.’s seventh coronavirus patient at home in Fraser Health region

Canada in ‘containment’ as COVID-19 spreads in other countries

Motorists were ‘driving like their own Indy 500’ before fatal Abbotsford crash, court hears

Family member declares defence request for 90-day jail sentence a ‘joke’

B.C. takes over another Retirement Concepts senior care home

Summerland facility latest to have administrator appointed

RCMP pull office from Wet’suwet’en territory, but hereditary chiefs still want patrols to end

Chief says temporary closure of field office not enough as Coastal GasLink pipeline dispute drags on

Prescription opioids getting B.C. addicts off ‘poisoned’ street drugs

Minister Judy Darcy says Abbotsford pilot project working

Royals, Elvis, Captain Cook: Hundreds of wax figures find new life in B.C. man’s home

Former director of Victoria’s Royal London Wax Museum still hopes to revive wax figure tourism

Teck CEO says Frontier withdrawal a result of tensions over climate, reconciliation

Don Lindsay speaks at mining conference, a day after announcing suspension of oilsands project

Most Read