The scene of a possible ammonia leak in Cloverdale on Oct. 30, in the 17500-block of 65A Avenue. (Photos: Shane MacKichan)

Cloverdale

No one hurt after suspected ammonia leak in Cloverdale

Surrey Fire Service says only one building was evacuated, and ammonia levels were not dangerously high in the area

Surrey Fire Service says no one was hurt after reports of a “possible ammonia leak” in Cloverdale Tuesday.

The call for Surrey RCMP to respond came in around 2:35 p.m. and the suspected leak was in the 17500-block of 65A Avenue.

David Burns, assistant chief with the Surrey Fire Service, said a business in the area reported a possible leak, and their alarms went off.

Employees then evacuated the building and when fire crews arrived, a HAZMAT team entered the building to assess the situation.

“Staff felt they shut off the affected system when they evacuated so our crews went in to ensure they did,” said Burns. “The ammonia levels were very low when crews entered.”

Burns noted the ammonia was “pretty much contained to the building.”

“When staff evacuated the building, the doors were all closed and it never escaped,” he added. “We measured outside the building and it wasn’t at a high enough level to be a concern. There were no injuries, just the evacuation of the building.”

Burns said there was no need to evacuate the area, beyond the building in question.

Crews wrapped up at the scene around 8 p.m. on Tuesday (Oct. 30).

Surrey RCMP Corporal Elenore Sturko told the Now-Leader that officers were only on scene to assist the fire department and secure the area, “so people don’t run into a situation with noxious vapours or anything like that.”

Ammonia is a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent smell. Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in air causes immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract and can result in blindness, lung damage or death. Inhalation of lower concentrations can cause coughing, and nose and throat irritation.

In October 2017, three men died following a leak of the gas at a rink in Fernie. The case is believed to be the first fatal ammonia leak in Canada.

homelessphoto

(Photo: Google Maps)



amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow Amy on Twitter

Just Posted

City sends back 25-storey office tower proposal, asks for more height and density

Developer says it is ‘currently reviewing direction’ from mayor, council

Scholarships set up in memory of Surrey grandpa killed in traffic crash

Pritam Singh Benning, 83, died after a car crashed into him at a Newton bus stop on Sept. 9, 2009

Ocean Athletics takes aim at Project Play contest in quest for track resurfacing

South Surrey Athletic Park track ‘eight years behind it’s best-before date’ says club

White Rock and South Surrey voices weigh in Trudeau ‘brownface’ and ‘blackface’

People are going to have to make an “individual choice” on how to react, says columnist

VIDEO: B.C.’s famous cat Grandpa Mason has died

The story of the feral cat that started fostering kittens touched people around the world

‘Not acceptable’: Ad linking Liberal candidate to B.C. police force removed

Jati Sidhu said advertisement only appeared for 30 minutes and was created by Montreal company

Trudeau seeks meeting with Singh to apologize for blackface, brownface photos

‘I will be apologizing to him personally as a racialized Canadian,’ Trudeau said Friday

North Delta happenings: week of Sept. 19

Events and community listings for North Delta

Charges stayed against Alberta RCMP officer in alleged off-duty Whistler assault

Const. Vernon Hagen instead completed an alternative measures program

Indian teachers that inspired Super 30 movie talk about hope

Movie is based on international best-selling book by B.C. doctor

Abbotsford erases skate park graffiti mural honouring student killed in car crash

Many in community angry at city’s move after saying art wouldn’t be immediately removed

VIDEO: Fire destroys Williams Lake strip club targeted by past arson attempts

Diamonds and Dust Entertainment Lounge destroyed by fire, crews on scene

Second bat found at Greater Victoria elementary school tests positive for rabies

Island Health confirms second rabies case, this time in Saanich

Most Read