Surrey records sixth homicide of the year

Sean Christopher Kelly, 27, was shot down in a Whalley driveway on Sunday evening

Sean Christopher Kelly

SURREY — Surrey recorded its sixth homicide of the year when 27-year-old Sean Christopher Kelly was shot down in a Whalley driveway on Sunday evening.

It happened in the 13900-block of Antrim Road, at 8:20 p.m. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has custody of the case.

Kelly died in hospital.

Court records indicate Sean Christopher Kelly had been charged with numerous crimes including aggravated assault, firearms offences, possession of property obtained by crime, possession for the purpose of trafficking, flight from a peace officer, breach of probation and breaching court conditions.

It was the city’s 48th shooting in 2016 that has been confirmed by police. Police have not identified a suspect.

Surrey has recorded six homicides in 2016:

July 31: Sean Christopher Kelly, 27, was found shot in a driveway in the 13900-block of Antrim Road in Bolivar Heights. He was pronounced dead in hospital.

July 23: Jatinder “Michael” Sandhu, 28, was shot in the head while sitting in a car parked in a driveway in the 14300-block of 90A  Avenue. Police believe he was an innocent victim and not an intended target.

July 2: The body of Brendan Aditya Chand, 27, was found in Whalley’s Bog Park on July 3rd. Police had received reports of gunshots being heard in the area at about 10:30 p.m. July 2. Court records indicate Chand had been sentenced in B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver to seven years after pleading guilty in 2014 to shooting a man in the shoulder in Burnaby in 2011.

May 15: Mandeep Bhatti, 29, was charged with manslaughter after a member of his family — a 32-year-old man whose name police have not released — died in hospital on May 15. Police said the man was taken to hospital on May 2, suffering from a skull fracture requiring emergency surgery, after they responded to a complaint of an assault in a residence in the 6700-block of 152nd Street. The man was released from hospital on May 9, re-admitted three days later with a brain bleed, and died on May 15.

March 20: Sukhvir Badhesa, 39, was charged with second-degree murder after a 61-year-old woman died inside a house in 10000-block of 128A Street on March 20. Police have not released the woman’s name.

March 11: Ishaan “Lucky” Dhanoa, 21, died in hospital after he was shot and his car crashed into a tree at 79th Avenue and 123rd Street.

tom.zytaruk@thenownewspaper.com

Just Posted

Fire destroys home in Surrey

Crews called at 3 a.m. Sunday for a residential house fire on the 12000-block of 100 Avenue

Alzheimer’s Society launches helpline

Toll-free phone line available for people with dementia and their caretakers

Art show to be held at White Rock’s Jan’s on the Beach

Art to be displayed until the end of December

New detox centre opens in South Surrey

WhiteRock EHN opened in response to opioid crisis

Saving salmon: B.C. business man believes hatcheries can help bring back the fish

Tony Allard worked with a central coast First Nation to enhance salmon stocks

High-end B.C. house prices dropping, but no relief at lower levels

But experts say home ownership remains out of reach for many for middle- and lower-income families

Worker killed in collision at B.C. coal mine

Vehicle collision occurred at approximately 10:45 a.m. this morning

UPDATE: Hells Angels on scene after body found in Maple Ridge

Body was discovered beneath the Golden Ears Bridge

Mountie left with ‘significant’ injuries after driver attempts to flee traffic stop

Richmond RCMP are looking for a dark coloured Mercedes Benz

B.C. asking for tips on ‘dirty money’ in horse racing, real estate, luxury cars

Action follows a Peter German report on money laundering in B.C. casinos

Canadian dead more than a week after plane crash in Guyana: Global Affairs

Global Affairs said it couldn’t provide further details on the identity of the Canadian citizen

Children between 6 and 9 eligible for $1,200 RESP grant from province

BC Ministry of Education is reminding residents to apply before the deadline

Victoria spent $30,000 to remove John A. Macdonald statue

Contentious decision sparked controversy, apology from mayor

Most Read