UPDATED: Port Moody rec centre parking lot open again

A 35-year-old man was gunned down in the parking lot of the Port Moody recreation complex Wednesday night.

A man was shot and killed in the parking lot of the Port Moody recreation complex on Wednesday evening.



A 35-year-old man is dead after a shooting outside the Port Moody recreation centre Wednesday night.

The Tri-City News has confirmed the victim is Bin Toor, who has ties to the Duhre gang and was known to police. (Gang leader Sandip Duhre was shot dead in Vancouver’s Wall Centre Hotel in January.)

Toor, a member of the Surrey Giants ball hockey team, was getting out of his car to go to a Premier Ball Hockey League game in the rec centre when he was shot several times, according to Const. Lindsay Houghton of the Vancouver Police Department, which is handling the investigation.

A dark-coloured SUV was spotted leaving the scene.

Toor was taken to hospital but died of his injuries shortly after midnight.

Houghton said although it’s early in the investigation they believe the incident was a targeted, gang-related shooting.

“Being a resident of Port Moody myself, I know it’s a busy recreation centre during the day and into the evening,” Houghton said during a VPD press conference Thursday morning. “It’s disturbing to us… and people should find it extremely unacceptable in their community.”

Houghton said the parking lot is a busy place, with families and people of all ages coming and going from the rec centre.

“Any public shooting puts the public at risk and that’s extremely concerning to us,” Houghton added.

There were soccer games taking place behind the recreation centre at the time of the shooting, and many people using the indoor gym and ball hockey facilities, said Port Moody Police Const. Luke van Winkel.

Several people called police just after the shooting and although investigators have spoken to several witnesses, VPD investigators are asking anyone with information to come forward, “especially regarding the events before and after the shooting, where hopefully we can pinpoint the suspect with information beyond the generic dark-coloured SUV,” Houghton said.

Newport Village resident Mitch Williams said he heard at least 10 shots just before 9:30 p.m.

“There were quite a few in a pattern, you could tell it wasn’t just firecrackers,” Williams said. “There was a burst of shots, a little break and then another burst. It was odd.”

It was difficult to tell where the shots were coming from and Williams said his first thought was of the notorious Bacon brothers, one of whom briefly lived in Newport Village about four years ago.

“I got up and ran to the other window because we’ve had some interesting individuals living on the other side,” Williams said. Five minutes later, he heard the police cars arriving, followed closely by an ambulance.

Donna Pickerill, a rec centre employee who lives about a block away off Ioco Road, heard the shots as well. An hour before the shooting, her husband and 11-year-old son had been at the soccer game behind the rec centre and walked home, “so that was a bit scary.”

Pickerill said the fact it was a gang shooting had her less worried than if it was a random act of violence. “But it’s lacrosse seasons so there are lots of young people there, especially at night,” she added.

Rec centre patrons were kept inside the building until about midnight. When they were allowed out, many had to leave on foot. The parking lot at 300 Ioco Rd. was blocked off by yellow police tape for much of Thursday morning, with vehicles still parked in the lot; it was re-opened to traffic later in the day.

A large cluster of evidence markers were seen behind a dark grey sedan parked near the multi-purpose rooms of the rec centre.

Members of the VPD Forensic Unit were expected to be on scene in and around the building throughout Thursday morning and the recreation centre was also expected to remain closed for at least part of the day.

The PMPD has contracted with the VPD for about a year on homicide investigations after switching from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT).

PMPD Chief Brad Parker said in a release that “Port Moody is still the safest community in the Lower Mainland.”

Mayor Mike Clay said the shooting was targeted and doesn’t reflect on the safety of the rec centre or the city as a whole.

“On a big scale, it bothers me that this happens in public, where innocent bystanders could get hurt, but I don’t think it’s anything specific to the recreation centre,” Clay added. “It could have happened in Surrey or Burnaby or anywhere.”

The shooting is the Tri-Cities’ first murder of 2012. The last one to happen in Port Moody was in 2002.

Since then, there have been three attempted murders (two shootings, one stabbing) and five incidents of shots fired, including the 2005 incident where a woman sitting in her living room was struck by a stray bullet.

Anyone with information or any witnesses who have yet to speak to police are asked to call the homicide unit at 604-717-2500 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

spayne@tricitynews.com

 

Surrey North Delta Leader

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Staff member at Surrey long-term care facility diagnosed with COVID-19

Fraser Health said a rapid response team is on site

White Rock’s namesake spray-painted black

Vandalism occurred sometime between Friday and Saturday

South Surrey resident blames city after house floods

Marilyn Molter said debris from city-planted maple trees easily clogs street drains

Surrey’s Johnston Heights reporting COVID-19 exposure

Fraser Health has created a new webpage listing COVID-19 cases in schools

Senior White Rock election worker not concerned about safety at the polls

‘Casting your vote will be like getting a take out coffee,’ says Elections BC CEO

QUIZ: Do you know what’s on TV?

Fall is normally the time when new television shows are released

Canadian ski resorts wrestle with pandemic-vs.-profit dilemma as COVID-19 persists

Few are actually restricting the total number of skiers they allow on the hill

Fraser Health confirms expanded COVID-19 testing services coming

Long lines, several days waiting list as demand for testing surges in region

Victoria-area RCMP locate high-risk sex offender thanks to help of taxi cab driver

Scott Jones wanted on a Canada-wide warrant, ‘a risk to women and girls,’ police say

A (virtual) walk around the world by 88-year-old B.C. man

George Doi says it’s simple: ‘I like walking’

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

End of CERB means uncertainty for some, new system for others

As of a week ago, the CERB had paid out $79.3 billion to 8.8 million people

Horgan, Wilkinson trade barbs over MSP premiums, health care at campaign stops

Horgan called a snap election for Oct. 24 earlier this week

Most Read