White Rock boat launch gates could be down this week

WHITE ROCK — One week after the gates were installed at White Rock’s west beach boat launch, Mayor Wayne Baldwin says he hopes to see them gone by the end of this week.

For now, the two-metre-high gates remain in place but the lock has been removed, a move Baldwin squarely attributes to the community’s response to the Transport Canada order issued at the beginning of last week.  

“If the public had simply folded and just shown total apathy about it, they might have succeeded in this but because the public did not that brought some pressure to bear so they (Transport Canada) were much more amenable to it,” said Baldwin.

The gates were installed last week following a missive sent by Transport Canada to the city ordering the immediate closure of public access to the site. The closure was to be the first part of a new set of safety measures ordered by Transport Canada following a safety review stemming from death of jogger Anita Lewis last July. Lewis was killed trying to cross the tracks while jogging along east beach.

After the initial closing of the boat launch and the backlash from the public, the city proposed a new plan that would lift the Transport Canada order.

“We had some discussions with them and I think they recognize that this was maybe a little hastily conceived and brought forward so they have taken a much more reasonable approach,” said Baldwin.

The city’s proposal includes the installation of stops signs and painted stop lines on both sides of the tracks. They have also proposed painting a no-parking zone on the north side and Burlington Northern Santa Fe., the owner of the railroad, will be replacing the railway crossing signs on the south side of the tracks.   

“We have come up with some suggestions which I understand Transport Canada is OK with, so we’ll be implementing those and hopefully the gates themselves will be removed by the end of the week,” said Baldwin.

According to Baldwin, city staff had received verbal approval from Transport Canada for the new plan and he said they will be starting work early this week.

“I view this as a victory for the public. It’s not a question of the city winning or Transport Canada winning it’s more what’s in the best interest of the public,” said Baldwin.

For now, beach-goers using the gate at the boat launch are asked to ensure it remains closed after use.

matt@mattlaw.ca

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

File photo
Surrey Mounties seeking dash-cam footage of Whalley road rage fight

Two men are alleged to have stabbed one another

The RCMP helicopter. (File photo)
Suspect escapes after police pursuit through Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford

Police chase involved two stolen vehicles, including one taken in Mission

A reminder to students at Surrey’s Strawberry Hill Elementary to physically distance during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Photo: Lauren Collins)
No new Surrey school COVID-19 exposures reported overnight

INTERACTIVE TABLE: Search for schools, organize by exposure dates

IIO Chief Civilian Director Ron MacDonald. (File photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Police watchdog concludes Mounties didn’t shoot Fleetwood teen at strip mall

IIO finds tragic death of teenager ‘not the result of any actions or inactions’ by the Surrey RCMP

The many faces of Daon Glasgow. (Photos: Surrey RCMP)
Glasgow found not guilty of trying to murder transit cop in Surrey

Transit Police Constable Josh Harms was shot Jan. 30, 2019 at Scott Road SkyTrain Station

FILE – Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry answers questions during a press conference to update on the province’s fall pandemic preparedness plan from the press theatre at Legislature in Victoria, Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
B.C. sees record-breaking daily COVID infections with 499 new cases over weekend

Two people, both in the Lower Mainland, died due to the virus over the weekend

A passer-by walks past a COVID-19 testing clinic in Montreal, Friday, Oct. 16, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Canada ‘yet to see’ deaths due to recent COVID surge as cases hit 200,000

Much of the increase in case numbers can be attributed to Ontario and Quebec

Police confirm human remains were found in a recycling bin in Vancouver on Oct. 18, 2020. (Black Press Media file photo)
Human remains found in recycling bin floating near Vancouver beach

Police asking nearby residents to see if their recycling bin has gone missing

B.C. Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson visits a North Vancouver daycare to announce his party’s election promises for child care, Oct. 9, 2020. (B.C. Liberal Party video)
B.C. parties pitch costly child care programs in pandemic

B.C. Liberals say they’ll deliver on NDP’s $10-a-day promise for lower-income families

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

A B.C. man decided to create a website to help people find family doctors accepting patients. Because Victoria is considered high-demand, clinic openings can’t be posted publicly. (Unsplash)
Vancouver Island man starts website that connects B.C. residents with doctors

Nanaimo man started project to help people find family physicians accepting patients

Voting station at Tzeachten Hall in the riding of Chilliwack-Kent on the first day of advance voting in the provincial election on Oct. 15, 2020. (Paul Henderson/ Chilliwack Progress)
B.C. VOTES 2020: 380,000 British Columbians head to polls in first 4 days of advance voting

Some of highest voter turnout so far has been seen on Vancouver Island and in Shuswap

Grant and Barbara Howse, in quarantine in Invermere. Mike Turner photo
Denied entry into U.S., Kootenay couple still forced to quarantine for 2 weeks

The rules around crossing the U.S. border led to a bizarre situation for an Invermere couple

Most Read