WHITE ROCK â€” The cause of a recent fire on Marine Drive that destroyed a local gelato shop has been deemed an accident by White Rock Fire Rescue.
According to fire chief Phil Lemire, crews determined the blaze originated from a reaction between some sawdust and a product being used to refinish hardwood floors.
The fire occurred on the morning of March 10, with crews receiving a call at around 7 a.m. reporting a fire at the building adjacent to the Gelateria Italia at 14901 Marine Dr. When crews arrived they discovered the fire was actually in the gelato shop itself.
Due to the fire occurring on the second floor at the back of the building, the site was able to burn for some time before it was noticed, also due in part to morning fog obscuring any smoke.
Residents in nearby condos were evacuated and power was down for around 1,000 homes as White Rock fire crews fought the blaze with help from the Surrey Fire Department. The three-alarm fire was contained within two hours and the site was later torn down, as it was left mostly unsalvageable.
White Rock Fire Rescue issued a public reminder Monday that people should be mindful of any hazards that may be associated with paint, stain or finishing products.