(Vancouver Fire & Rescue Service)

(Vancouver Fire & Rescue Service)

UPDATE: Woman dies in accidental fire in Vancouver’s Yaletown

Firefighters provided few details, but say the flames were caused accidentally

An elderly woman died late Wednesday night in a fire in Vancouver’s upscale Yaletown neighbourhood.

Firefighters were called to an apartment building in the 1000 block of Marinaside Crescent around 11:30 p.m., to find one suite on the eighth floor “heavily charged” with smoke.

The fire was contained to that suite, and was determined to have been accidental.

Capt. Jonathan Gormick said it appears it was most likely incense or a candle left unattended.

The smoke alarm and the sprinkler did go off, he added, so it’s possible the woman, in her 80s, may have fallen asleep or had some kind of medical emergency.

Don’t even go into another room when you’ve got a candle burning or a pot on the stove, Gormick said.

This is the city’s first fire fatality of the year.



laura.baziuk@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Be Among The First To Know

Create a free account today, and start receiving free newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image