Work to repair South Surrey’s Bailey bridge is to take place next week. (File photo)

Work on South Surrey’s Bailey bridge booked

Week-long closure of King George Boulevard structure to start Monday: ministry

One year after plans to replace South Surrey’s Bailey bridge – which crosses the Nicomekl River just north of Crescent Road – were announced, work is to get underway.

But it’s not yet going to be the full replacement project that was initially announced – at least not yet.

According to a Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure news release issued Friday morning, repairs to the bridge are to start Monday (Nov. 19).

“The maintenance contractor “is completing necessary repairs to the deck, structure and road at the south end,” ministry officials told Peace Arch News by email.

“A future replacement project that fits into the region’s long-term transportation plan is still being discussed with the City of Surrey.”

The province announced in October 2017 that it would replace the portable, prefabricated bridge with a steel “superstructure” that would “provide reliability for travellers and a longer lifespan.”

READ MORE: Bailey bridge to be replaced by new ‘superstructure’

“And it will allow the ministry to remove the current 10,000 kg-weight restriction for vehicles using the crossing,” a news release issued at the time states.

The full replacement had been anticipated to take six weeks.

Delays over the past year in the work moving ahead have been attributed to a wait for environmental approval from the province, and ongoing discussions with the City of Surrey.

Last month, officials said the ministry “intends to move forward with the project” and that more information was anticipated to be available by the end of this year.

“The plan is still being discussed with the City of Surrey in light of their future, long-term transportation plan,” a statement emailed to PAN by the ministry at that time read.

“We continue to monitor the structure to ensure it remains safe for the travelling public.”

For the duration of next week’s work, traffic northbound on King George Boulevard “will be diverted onto the adjacent two-lane structure” until Nov. 26, Friday’s release states.

The Bailey bridge has been operational since the early 1980s, according to the ministry.

Just Posted

Stabbing at Surrey banquet hall sends man to hospital

RCMP says victim has ‘non-life threatening’ injuries, incident still under investigation

55-year-old man taken to hospital after fire at Surrey RV park

Firefighters find man suffering from smoke inhalation, burns to face and hands: battalion chief

South Surrey parking ticket perplexes, frustrates

Theresa Delaney predicts more people will be wrongly ticketed

OUR VIEW: Let’s find Surrey pellet-gun punks

Those who do have information – if they are also possessed of a conscience – must contact police

B.C. students win Great Waters Challenge video contest

Video, mural and song about saving the salmon claims the top prize

Pedestrian in serious condition after hit by car downtown Abbotsford

A youth was also hit, suffered minor injuries, police say

Cabinet likely to extend deadline to reconsider Trans Mountain pipeline

The can’t decide the pipeline’s fate until a new round of consultations with Indigenous communities

B.C. government provides $75,000 towards salmon study

Study looks at abundance and health of Pacific salmon in Gulf of Alaska

Murdered and missing honoured at Stolen Sisters Memorial March in B.C.

‘We come together to make change within the systems in our society’

UBC researchers develop inexpensive tool to test drinking water

The tricoder can test for biological contamination in real-time

Disgraced ex-Congressman Anthony Weiner released from prison

He was convicted of having illicit online contact with a 15-year-old North Carolina girl in 2017

B.C. communities push back against climate change damages campaign

Activists copying California case that was tossed out of court

Most Read