Parking fees are excessive

Fees and surcharges have been some of the sneaky ways this government has used to collect more cash.

As someone who has had to visit Vancouver General Hospital several times recently, I was appalled to discover their extortionate parking fees. It takes an editorial from the CMA Journal to bring this disgraceful situation to everyone’s attention.

Now we see the B.C. Liberals trying to spin this story of one more tax on a section of the population. They claim that these so-called fees are “needed to pay for capital equipment.”

Nonsense. Revenues for medical care are aggregated together into one account and then allocated based on political thinking by the stooges appointed directly by the B.C. government.

Reductions in both the number and massive salaries of health-care “administrators” would go a long way in making B.C. voters recognize that we have a fair and economic health system.

Fees and surcharges have been some of the sneaky ways this government has used to take more cash out of B.C. taxpayers’ pockets without appearing to increase income taxes.

The fact that a “lucky few” who have their taxes kept low so they can buy private rooms in our hospitals illustrates the two-tier society that our leaders wish to impose on B.C.

It is also disgusting to see that health workers are also being gouged by this government as they often have to drive to the hospitals where they work.

The pathetic excuses being used to avoid being swamped by free parkers was already addressed in the story – ticket validation has been used by merchants for years.

When Delta municipality can ban these types of charges, it shows how truly political is this action. It is disappointing that the NDP has not already brought up this issue and promised to ban these charges by raising taxes on the top 10 per cent to ensure that the other 90 per cent of the population gets first-class medical service.

 

Herbert Spencer

Surrey

Surrey North Delta Leader

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Man pleads guilty to stabbing woman, off-duty cop outside North Delta elementary school

The suspect, whose name is under a publication ban, faced 10 charges in relation to this incident

Surrey RCMP boss Brian Edwards on moving forward, and what keeps him awake at night

Edwards spoke with Now-Leader reporter Tom Zytaruk about what he’s learning and hopes to accomplish as Surrey’s top cop

PHOTOS: Cloverdale’s Coldest Night of the Year charity walk raises $125K

Annual event sees more than 500 walkers take part

All-Surrey battle for South Fraser boys basketball title

At Tamanawis, the top four teams will go to provincials

Hopes are for ‘focus on Surrey investments’ when Horgan speaks in March

Luncheon at golf course planned by Surrey Board of Trade

VIDEO: Illicit drug overdoses killed 981 in B.C. in 2019, down 38%

Chief coroner says figures were down about a third in the province’s fourth year of the opioid crisis

UPDATE: Protesters dismantle blockade on Maple Ridge tracks

West Coast Express train service is expected to run again Tuesday morning

VIDEO: B.C.’s seventh coronavirus patient at home in Fraser Health region

Canada in ‘containment’ as COVID-19 spreads in other countries

Motorists were ‘driving like their own Indy 500’ before fatal Abbotsford crash, court hears

Family member declares defence request for 90-day jail sentence a ‘joke’

B.C. takes over another Retirement Concepts senior care home

Summerland facility latest to have administrator appointed

RCMP pull office from Wet’suwet’en territory, but hereditary chiefs still want patrols to end

Chief says temporary closure of field office not enough as Coastal GasLink pipeline dispute drags on

Prescription opioids getting B.C. addicts off ‘poisoned’ street drugs

Minister Judy Darcy says Abbotsford pilot project working

Royals, Elvis, Captain Cook: Hundreds of wax figures find new life in B.C. man’s home

Former director of Victoria’s Royal London Wax Museum still hopes to revive wax figure tourism

Teck CEO says Frontier withdrawal a result of tensions over climate, reconciliation

Don Lindsay speaks at mining conference, a day after announcing suspension of oilsands project

Most Read