Once again Surrey’s mayor has embarked on increasing your taxes without proper public consultation. Proposed increased in property and gas taxes in addition to tolls on Golden Ears and Port Mann bridges mean thousands of dollars less in your pocket.
Every economist agrees that any increase in fuel prices can have a significant negative effect on the economy and jobs. Surrey needs lower fuel prices not higher fuel prices to support a vibrant economy and jobs and I repeat, Surrey needs lower fuel prices not higher fuel prices to support a vibrant economy and jobs.
My vision is to turn Surrey to a first-class city. I do have the knowledge and experience to put together a team that supports this vision. A first class city needs to have a vibrant economy as well as first class transit system. While other cities in the lower mainland have been equipped with the SkyTrains, under the new tax increase proposal, Surrey will only see a few extra buses. Vote for me and I will kill the proposed gas tax increases.
I would like to share with you 10 important points;
1. This election is about getting residents of Surrey involved in planning for today and for the futures. Today, residences of Surrey have the choice to elect real leaders as oppose to politicians or political parties that are influenced by interest groups. I am an independent candidate with 11 years of management experience in managing complex health institutions. I also have a master in health administrations.
2. I will ensure that Surrey residents are consulted on all important matters that affect their lives.
3. I will create an ethic committee to ensure that all elected officials work within the guidelines set by that committee. Surrey officials will be held accountable for their actions under my leadership.
4. Surrey is a true multicultural society and we need to make sure everyone’s voice has been heard.
5. New Surrey will support and welcome all peace-loving guests who would inspire us.
6. I will ensure that our children are placed in a safe classroom structures as oppose to temporary boxes that are currently being used as a classroom.
7. I will ensure that Surrey’s vision includes support for green initiatives. A vibrant city must support its residents to promote sustainable living. As an example, new Surrey will encourage initiatives such as farmers markets to promote locals sell their fresh goods.
8. I will push the province and TransLink to consider Surrey for SkyTrain as opposed to buses and light trains. If other cities want SkyTrain, then Surrey must be able to get one.
9. I will oppose the new proposed tax increase which would cost Surrey’s taxpayers nearly $20 million per year.
10. By voting for me, Surrey will have a strong voice in British Columbia. Together, we will build Surrey to a be a first class city.
Touraj Ghanbar- zadeh
Candidate for Surrey mayor