The B.C. Hockey League is reviewing different plans and scenarios as it prepares for a 2020-21 season. (Black Press - file photo)

B.C. Hockey League prepping for 2020-21

League reviewing different scenarios and start times in compliance with provincial regulations

Different models and scenarios are being pondered by the B.C. Hockey League for its 2020-21 season, with the league confident the season will go ahead.

The league’s board of governors has reviewed several models put forth by the league office.

Earlier in May, the league created a Return-to-Play Task Force, which is responsible for outlining several different scenarios on how and when the league can resume its schedule, while working with the Provincial Health Authorities to develop return-to-play guidelines and safety measures.

These scenarios include different start dates depending on government restrictions, potential ways to ease the financial burden on teams for the coming season and protocols to be put in place to promote the safety of BCHL players, staff and fans.

“We had some very productive discussions with our Governors regarding a safe return to play for the BCHL,” said commissioner Chris Hebb. “We support our provincial health authorities and will comply with the guidelines put in place to make sure the safety of our players, staff and fans are always at the forefront. That being said, we can’t wait to drop the puck on what is sure to be an exciting 2020-21 season.”

Hebb said the league looks forward to continuing 59 years of tradition.

“Our league provides numerous jobs for residents of B.C. as well as education opportunities for hundreds of players, including 188 university and college student-athletes last year alone, with many more expected in the coming months,” he said.

Hockey Canada announced over the weekend that the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR) will open today, Monday, June 1, as scheduled. This means that Canadian Junior Hockey League teams will be allowed to start making acquisitions to build their rosters for the 2020-21 season.

“Obviously, this isn’t a normal offseason, but with the HCR opening up on schedule, it will be business as usual for our teams as they prepare for the 2020-21 season,” said BCHL executive director Steven Cocker. “The BCHL is fully planning on playing this fall, as soon as we receive approval from Hockey Canada and the health authorities. The opening of the HCR is another step in the right direction for a return to play. Our Return-to-Play Task Force has been working diligently to ensure we have not left a single stone unturned as it relates to contingency plans.”

The league is also continuing discussions with the provincial government, including conversations with B.C. Premier John Horgan, as well as Minister of Tourism, Arts & Culture, Lisa Beare.

“We’ve had lengthy discussions with Minister Beare and her office since sending them a letter in early April,” said Graham Fraser, chairman of the BCHL board of governors. “Upon their request, we also submitted a detailed return-to-play plan and they are in the process of reviewing it.

“Our call with Premier Horgan was also positive. He understands the importance of the BCHL to its 18 communities, as well as the entire province. Premier Horgan, along with Minster Beare, heard our request for financial support and both understand our position. We will continue these discussions with the provincial government in the coming weeks.”

The league expands to 18 teams for 2020-21 as the Cranbrook Bucks will begin play in the Interior Division.

READ MORE: BCHL suspends 2020 playoffs until further notice

READ MORE: BCHL asks province for help with pandemic losses



roger@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

BCHL

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Surrey city staff hears restricting recovery homes to six clients won’t cut it

Corporate report notes there are more recovery homes in Surrey than in every other community in B.C. combined

Surrey Food Bank opens huge new ‘forever home’ in Newton

New warehouse on 78th Avenue is close to three times the size of the food bank’s old site in Whalley

Community fruit harvest program returns to Surrey, White Rock

Sources will send a team to harvest fruit trees, so less goes to waste

Semiahmoo Peninsula girls to host Black Lives Matter fundraiser

‘We are doing this because the world is full of systemic racism,’ organizer Sabine Lapointe said

South Surrey’s Historic Stewart Farm to offer guided tours

Outdoor tours to run afternoons Tuesdays through Fridays

Following incident at sea, fishing lodge says it will reopen despite Haida travel ban

QCL reopens July 10, says president; Haida chief councillor describes ‘dangerous’ boating encounter

Kamloops RCMP officer’s conduct under review after blackface jokes on social media

Meinke’s Instagram is private and it’s unclear when the posts were made

NHL says 35 players have tested positive for COVID-19 since June 8

Positive rate for the league is just under 6%

Man charged in Rideau Hall crash had rifle, shotguns, high-capacity magazine: RCMP

Hurren is accused of threatening to cause death or bodily harm to the prime minister

B.C. extends income assistance exemption for COVID-19

Provincial program to match Ottawa’s CERB, student pay

Most Read