Tyler Fraser (12) of the Cloverdale Colts attempts to keep control of he puck while teammate  Will Nomura (6) collides with Addison Bazian of Kamloops during round robin play at the BC Hockey Bantam Tier 1 provincial tournament in Abbotsford.

Tyler Fraser (12) of the Cloverdale Colts attempts to keep control of he puck while teammate Will Nomura (6) collides with Addison Bazian of Kamloops during round robin play at the BC Hockey Bantam Tier 1 provincial tournament in Abbotsford.

B.C. title for Thunder, Falcons

Two Surrey squads win B.C. Hockey championships

A pair of local teams dominated the competition at the B.C. Hockey Midget Tier 1 provincial championship tournament in Nanaimo, before clashing in Wednesday night’s championship game.

The Surrey Thunder and Cloverdale Colts each clinched a berth in the final before losing mean-nothing round robin games on the final day of play. The Thunder then won a B.C. championship, edging Cloverdale 4-3.

Surrey went 4-1 (won-lost) to place first among the six teams, winning a pair of games Tuesday to clinch first place in the round robin.

Scott McHaffie, Brendan Wilde, Jerret Smith, Markus Nelson, Navtaj Boparai and Darcy Rai tallied for the Thunder in a 6-2 win over Comox Valley in the morning game. Surrey then clinched first place in the round robin with a 5-0 victory over Prince George, getting two goals from Josiah Friesen and one each from Boparai, Spencer McHaffie, Scott McHaffie.

The Thunder lost 5-4 to Nanaimo Wednesday afternoon.

Cloverdale, owners of a 2-1 (won-lost) record after two days, wrapped up second place and a berth in the final with a 4-3 triumph over Kelowna. Joel Hawks tallied twice, with Justin Rai and Eric Rossi adding singles.

In their final round robin game Wednesday, then dropped a 5-2 decision to Comox Valley.

– After going undefeated in five round robin games, the Surrey Falcons fell behind 3-0 after one period and went on to an 8-3 loss to the North Shore Avalanche in the Pee Wee female championship game in Clearwater.

Jasmine Bal notched two of the Surrey goals, assisting Mya Taylor on the third Falcons tally.

The Falcons were unbeaten in round robin play, finishing with a 3-0-2 (won-lost-tied) record. 

After posting a win in each of the first two days of play, Surrey took three of a possible four points from a pair of contests. Mya Taylor notched both goals in a 2-2 tie with Rossland/Trail, then Morgan Symington earned a shutout in a 2-0 victory over Clearwater, a win which clinched a berth in the championship game. Jessie Sanghe and Natalie Richardson were the goal scorers.

Before Wednesday’s championship game, Surrey played North Shore to a 2-2 tie in a mean-nothing round robin contest in the morning. Richardson and Sanghe again tallied for the Falcons.

– The Cloverdale Colts were challenging for a playoff position at the Bantam Tier 1 tournament in Abbotsford, before a pair of losses dropped them to fourth place at the six-team competition with a 2-2-1 record.

Cloverdale remained unbeaten after its third game Tuesday morning, defeating Nanaimo 5-3. They then lost 5-3 to the host Abbotsford team, and were eliminated Wednesday afternoon with a 7-1 loss to the Burnaby Winter Club.

– The Surrey Hurricanes were eliminated from championship contention in the semifinal round at the Midget TIer 2 tournament in Salmon Arm. The Hurricanes went 2-0-1 in round robin play to finish second in their four team group, and faced off against a host team which topped their pool at 2-0-2.

Surrey fell 5-4 to Salmon Arm in the playoff contest Wednesday morning. Steven Hayes netted a pair of goals for Surrey, with Ram Brar and Levin Harrison rounding out the scoring.

They then topped Port Alberni 3-1 in the bronze medal game, with goals coming from Jonathan Philley, James Sangil-Dodds and Dale Mar.

The Hurricanes clinched a playoff berth in their final round robin game, edging New Westminster 2-1 on goals by Ram Brar and Sangil-Dodds.

– The Surrey Storm were in a five-team race for the two berths in the championship game of the Midget Tier 4 tournament at the North Surrey Recreation Centre.

After play Wednesday, just two points separated the top five teams, with only Kelowna not having one more game to play. Surrey had won four of five games to sit in first place, a point ahead of Nakusp and Kelowna, with Houston and Saanich just two points out of top spot.

Surrey was to play Nakusp yesterday (Thuirsday) in the final round robin game, needing a tie to advance to last night’s championship game.

The Storm split their two games Tuesday, leading 2-1 and 5-1 at the period breaks on their way to a 5-1 win over Whitehorse in the morning. 

In the evening game, The Houston Flyers broke a 1-1 tie with Surrey midway through the third period, added an empty net goal with 92 seconds left, then notched another with just eight seconds to play for a 4-1 win to take over first place at the seven-team tournament.

Surrey then regained top spot with a 7-1 victory over Kelowna Wednesday night.

– Semiahmoo won one of three games at the Pee Wee Tier 2 provincial tournament in Aldergrove. They lost 10-2 to Campbell River in their first round robin game Sunday morning, then fell 8-2 to Cranbrook Monday afternoon.

 Semiahmoo closed out the round robin with an 8-0 victory over Williams Lake.



Surrey North Delta Leader