Lawyer Domenic Basile leaves old city hall after appearing in court on behalf of accused Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Roberto Osuna in Toronto on Monday, June 18, 2018. The 23-year-old pitcher was charged with one count of assault by Toronto police early last month. He was placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball, in accordance with the league’s domestic violence policy. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Tijana Martin.

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna suspended for 75 games

23-year-old pitcher faces assault charge

NEW YORK — Major League Baseball has suspended Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna through Aug. 4 for violating the league’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy.

MLB announced the suspension — which is retroactive to May 8 and will cover a total of 75 games — in a release on Friday. The league says Osuna has agreed not to appeal the suspension and he will participate in a confidential and comprehensive evaluation and treatment program supervised by the joint policy board of MLB and the players’ association.

The 23-year-old Osuna is facing an assault charge and had been on paid administrative leave by MLB since being arrested last month.

The Blue Jays said in a statement that they “support the decision by the Commissioner’s Office.”

Osuna appeared in 15 games (15 1/3 innings) for Toronto this season, allowing 16 hits, five runs and one walk while earning nine saves. He has not pitched since May 6, two days before he was put on administrative leave.

He is 8-13 with a 2.87 earned-run average and 104 saves over four seasons with the Blue Jays.

READ MORE: Robert Osuna not expected to appear in court

“I don’t have much of a reaction other than you take what MLB does and trust that and live with that and let it go through its course,” Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said before Friday night’s road game against the Los Angeles Angels. “We knew something was coming down. Actually, it took a while. Hopefully it all gets worked out on both sides and everyone gets the help they need and everything works out fine.”

Osuna’s lawyer, Domenic Basile, said in court in Toronto Monday that Osuna intends to plead not guilty to the assault charge. Osuna’s case is scheduled to return to court July 9.

Gibbons was asked if knowing the length of the penalty helps the team.

“I guess that helps,” Gibbons said. “We’ve kind of moved past that anyway and made do with what we’ve had.”

Osuna will lose about $2.54 million of his $5.3 million salary.

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Just Posted

Surrey man wins $500K, plans to build house, buy toys and ‘nice dinner’

Sukhwinder Sidhu bought winning ticket at store in Newton

Artist, history buff named Surrey Civic Treasures for 2018

Roxanne Charles and Jim Foulkes to be recognized at Oct. 2 event

UPDATE: Police raid Langley home in search for murder suspect Teixeira

Several law enforcement agencies were at a Willoughby home, hunting for a man charged with murder.

Surrey woman’s ‘tell-all’ book aims to help those struggling with domestic violence

Second book details abusive marriage, how people failed her

VIDEO: Story surrounding new playground at Surrey hospital a real ‘tear-jerker’

Dad began planning after his son had surgery in Surrey and he saw too many sad faces

Officials: 3 killed in shooting at Maryland Rite Aid centre

FBI described the Aberdeen incident as an ‘active shooter situation’

The hunt for online herb: feds seek dope on hazy world of pot’s ‘cryptomarket’

In less than a month, Canada to be first industrialized country to legalize recreational marijuana

Despite protests, Russia’s anti-doping agency reinstated

On a 9-2 vote, the executive committee declared RUSADA as having satisfied conditions

Burnaby pedestrian in hospital after being hit crossing busy street

Driver remained on scene, is speaking to RCMP

5 to start your day

Massive barn fire in Agassiz, messages of hope line Vancouver-area bridge and more

The longest week: Carolinas worn out by Florence

Frustration and sheer exhaustion are building as thousands of people wait to go home seven days after the storm began battering the coast.

Vancouver councillors move ahead with policy for duplexes on detached home lots

Mayor Gregor Robertson says the decision is another step toward adding homes in the city for the so-called “missing middle.”

Most Read