Non-profit sport benefits from Surrey Summer Games

2012 legacy funds doled out to youth sport development organizations.

The Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games Board of Directors announced on Thursday (June 27) that more than $140,000 in surplus legacy funds will be distributed to support youth sport development opportunities in Surrey.

“What began with a small group of dedicated community leaders when the Games were announced grew to involve almost 3,000 Surrey residents over the course of 18 months,” said Mayor Dianne Watts. “These amazing volunteers not only provided 2,300 young athletes with the opportunity of a lifetime, but also showcased Surrey as home to a wonderfully committed and engaged community.”

“The BC Summer Games were truly embraced by the entire community of Surrey,” said Kelly Mann, President and CEO of the BC Games Society. “The leadership of the Board and support of partners ensured the legacies of these Games will benefit individuals and the community for years to come.”

The purpose of the Legacy Fund is to provide financial support to non-profit sport, recreation, and community organizations serving the City of Surrey and School District #36.  In total, five organizations will benefit from the Legacy Funds with 75 per cent earmarked for projects that will support the growth of sport in the community, and the remaining 25 per cent will be directed to non-sport organizations.

In addition to this surplus funding, the Games also left legacies in the community such as $60,000 in camera and computer equipment that was used during the Games by 29 Surrey high school students who served as official photographers during the Games period as well as many capital improvements and equipment upgrades completed by the City of Surrey in the period leading up to the Summer Games.

“Participation in sport is so important to the health, confidence and social development of children and youth,” noted Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games Society President and Co-Chair Bill McNamara. “We are very pleased to be able to contribute these Legacy Funds to support sport in our City.”

“The Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games was a huge community success story and we are stronger today for having successfully staged these Games for the youth of our province,” said Coun. Linda Hepner, Co-Chair of the Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games.

The following are the recipients of the Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games Legacy Funds:

Sport Surrey – $40,000

For the purchase of a Multi-Purpose Sport Tournament Mobile Trailer to be available for community sports groups.

Surrey Secondary Schools Athletic Association – $30,000

Four athletic bursaries in the amount of $1,500 each per year for five years will be awarded to Surrey School District students.

REC for Kids – $30,000

For the purchase of a cargo van to transport donated sporting equipment. The equipment is refurbished by volunteers and distributed to children in need who are able to use it to become active and stay healthy.

KidSport – $25,000

Provided to this volunteer-run organization to remove financial barriers and allow children in need to participate in organized sport.

I AM GAME – $10,000

Provides opportunities in an inclusive environment where children can develop skills and build confidence to be able to try new activities and find ones they love so the will be active for life.

The recipients of the Legacy funding were present at a special reception which was an opportunity to remember the successes of the Games and how the community was brought together.

Just Posted

White Rock Renegades ‘04 named national champs

Girls went undefeated at national tournament in Calgary

South Surrey woman promotes exercise to help fight Parkinson’s disease

‘This keeps me strong’ says Liz Holroyd Campbell, organizer of the 2019 Parkinson Superwalk

PHOTOS: Supercars parade to White Rock

More than a dozen cars were on display for the Drive Project

QUIZ: How much do you remember about Woodstock?

Weekend music festival in Bethel, New York, was held 50 years ago

Advocates ‘internationalize’ the fight to free Raif Badawi from Saudi prison

Raif Badawi was arrested on June 17, 2012, and was later sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in jail for his online criticism of Saudi clerics

Canadian entrepreneurs turning beer byproduct into bread, cookies and profits

Some breweries turn to entrepreneurs looking to turn spent grain into treats for people and their pets

Canada ‘disappointed’ terror suspect’s British citizenship revoked

Jack Letts, who was dubbed “Jihadi Jack” by the U.K. media, has been detained in a Kurdish prison for about two years

Chrystia Freeland condemns violence in Hong Kong, backs right to peaceful assembly

There have been months of protests in the semi-autonomous region

B.C. VIEWS: Log exports and my other errors so far in 2019

Plastic bags, legislature overspending turn out differently

Most Read