People began settling in Whalley as early as the 1880s.
The municipal council in 1908 requested a grant to build a road from Fraser Bridge to present day 108th Avenue.
The road cut off a portion of Old Yale Road known as "Snake Hill" because of its steep, dangerous curves. The route later became part of King George Highway.
In 1925, Arthur Whalley, a bootlegger, moved his family from Cloverdale to a threeacre triangle of land at the future intersection of Ferguson Road (108th Avenue), Grosvenor Road and the King George Highway.
After clearing the land and spending their first winter in tents, they built a service station, which included a general store, soft drink stand and tourist cabins.
Whalley had a shack closer to Cloverdale but had to move it further away to avoid being raided by the police stationed in the rodeo town. The added distance, as the story goes, bought him more time to hide his stuff from police.
When Pacific Stage Lines established a bus stop at Ferguson and Bergstrom Roads, the place became known as "Whalley’s Corner." The area was officially named Whalley in 1948 after the board of trade held a contest to rename what had become known as "Whalley’s Corner."
The name beat out "Binnieville," which had been recommended in honour of Tom Binnie, a local real estate and insurance broker who had fostered Whalley’s growth as a commercial centre.
City of Surrey and Tom Zytaruk