A (very) quick look at some of the news in the community you might have missed. Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Single-sentence stories’ in the subject line.
- Surrey Food Bank’s annual Breakfast with the Bank fundraiser is scheduled for May 6 at Bombay Banquet Hall (to RSVP, call 604-581-5443 or email email@example.com).
- The free Surrey Board of Trade Crime Breakfast, which will focus on Cloverdale, is set for Tuesday, March 1 at Elements Casino and will feature representatives from the Surrey RCMP, the City of Surrey and Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers.
- Surrey’s Lisa Marie plans to buy a condo and travel the world with her partner after winning $1 million playing a Scratch and Win ticket she bought from a grocery store in Williams Lake.
- The Surrey Hospice Society’s Oscar Night Pub Party at Edith and Arthur Pub happens Saturday (Feb. 28) at 5:40 p.m. – tickets are $25 and you can get them by calling 604-584-7006 or by visiting Surreyhospice.com.
- Simon Fraser University’s 50th anniversary Open House happens at the SFU Surrey campus on March 2 from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Dr. Joanne Curry has been appointed Simon Fraser University’s vice-president, external relations, after serving for four years as associate VP external relations.
- A “Post-It Pink” wall of Post-It notes at Guildford Town Centre – created in celebration of Pink Shirt Day in partnership with Shaw Communications and Post-It brand products – raised close to $5,000 for Surrey Fire Fighters’ Charitable Society from Feb. 17 to 24.
Compiled by staff