Want to help a local charity while disposing of your holiday tree in an environmentally friendly way? Attend one of several tree chip-ins, starting Dec. 31.
• Surrey Firefighters will be on hand to chip and recycle your trees at their 27th-annual Chip-In on Dec. 31 from 12-5 p.m. at Newton Athletic Park (7400 128 St.) Please ensure your tree is free of wires, decorations and tree stands. By donation. All proceeds go to support Surrey Firefighter’s Charitable Society. For more information, call 604-591-4203.
• Adams Road Elementary Parents Advisory Council will be holding its second-annual tree chipping and bottle drive fundraiser on Jan. 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the school at 18228 82 Ave. Chipping by donation. Partial proceeds will help support a local Cloverdale family with a terminally ill child (Kade) while they are unable to work so they can spend as much time with their son as possible. Any gift cards or extra cash donations will be given directly to the family.
• Emmanuel Covenant Church is holding a Christmas tree chipping and bottle drive on Jan. 2 and 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 17029 16 Ave. By donation. For more information, call 604-535-0748 or visit www.emmanuelcovenant.ca
• St Matthew’s Parish (16079 88 Ave.) is hosting a tree-chipping fundraiser on Jan. 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Jan. 8 from 12-4 p.m. By donation. Proceeds will go to the Knights of Columbus.
• The Delta Scottsdale Lions will hold their 21st annual Christmas Tree Chip on Jan. 7 and 8 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Sungod Arena, 7825 112 St. Donations will go to the Lions community projects, such as high school scholarships, the BC Lions Society, Reach Child and Youth Development Society and more. For more information, call 604-594-6144.
• The Dry Grad Committee of Fraser Heights Secondary School is holding a tree chipping/bottle drive fundraising event on Jan. 8 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the parking lot of the school at 16060 108 Ave. Also, for a minimum $20 donation, a representative will come to your house and pick your tree up for chipping. Email mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to have your tree picked up, or simply drop off your Christmas tree at the parking lot by donation.
• Bolivar Heights Community Association and Surrey Slopitch are hosting their second-annual Christmas tree chipping fundraiser on Jan. 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Bolivar Park parking lot, 13290 115 Ave. Donations of non-perishable food items for the Surrey Food Bank will be accepted, as will beverage containers for recycling.