Accused in South Surrey attack 'awaits disclosure'

Accused in South Surrey attack ‘awaits disclosure’

South Surrey home-invasion assault case postponed again.

Court appearances continue for a Langley man accused of assaulting a South Surrey senior in her home last summer.

Stephen Thomas Morse appeared in Surrey Provincial Court by video last week, where the case was adjourned for a further three weeks. He is scheduled to return on Feb. 2.

Morse has been in custody since Sept. 4, charged with aggravated sexual assault, forcible confinement, break-and-enter, robbery, disguise with intent and use of imitation firearm in connection with an Aug. 12 incident.

In announcing an arrest in September, police described the crime as “repulsive.” It happened in the early afternoon and prompted police to issue a community warning.

In an attempt to locate the perpetrator, investigators released security-camera images of a man using the ATM at the Brookswood RBC the afternoon of Aug. 12, in the 20000-block of 40 Avenue.

Morse’s lawyer, Craig Sicotte, told Peace Arch News after the latest court appearance Jan. 12 that the repeated adjournments are due to a wait for disclosure in the case.

The Feb. 2 appearance will again be by video, Sicotte said.

 

Surrey North Delta Leader