Bridge brouhaha brewing as cities hit road block over new Pattullo

New Westminster has dug in its heels against expanding the span, Surrey's transportation committee says.

Surrey and New Westminster are at odds over what to do with the aging Pattullo Bridge.

A proposed expansion of the Pattullo Bridge has hit an axle-bending speed bump as New Westminster has postponed the second phase of public consultation on the project.

The 77-year-old Pattullo Bridge is in need of upgrades, for which TransLink has set aside $300 million.

However, officials with the transportation authority, which has responsibility for the Pattullo, are reluctant to spend heavily on repairs if a new bridge is in the offing.

Surrey’s transportation plan calls for a widening of the bridge to six lanes, which several councillors in the city say the public broadly supports. That would cost an estimated $1.6 billion.

Another option is a four-lane bridge, which would cost about $800 million.

However, New Westminster wants neither, committee members have said, adding the municipality has put off the second phase of TrasnLink’s public consultation on bridge expansion.

New West opposes the expansion – preferring instead to keep upgrading the aging span – because it will funnel greater volumes of traffic into its community.

“It’s unfortunate,” said committee member Coun. Barinder Rasode. “We’ve been in engaged in a process for many years on community consultation and exploring options. And our planning has always revolved around a six-lane Pattullo expansion.”

With both sides dug in, TransLink may have to go to the province to settle the matter.

“Right now, because it’s a TransLink bridge, it’s entrusted on TransLink to resolve the issues on both sides,” said Surrey’s General Manager of Engineering Vincent Lalonde.

Rasode said that by “nature of its geography” New Westminster is a transportation corridor and should accept a wider bridge.

Metro Vancouver, she said, has also supported a bridge expansion.

Surrey officials say that the best use of the dollars is to expand it, rather than continue to fix the span.

The $300 million for upgrades would have to be spent again in another 20 years or so.

A new span would last between 75 and 100 years, city staff say.

Calls to New Westminster Mayor Wayne Wright were not returned by The Leader’s press deadline.

City of Surrey staff are now trying to negotiate with New Westminster and TransLink to see if the discussion can move forward.

TransLink has winnowed 25 Pattullo Bridge replacement configurations down to six.

It aims to shortlist two or three preferred options this winter ahead of a final choice – if the cities of Surrey and New Westminster can unite behind one.

It’s assumed the new $1-billion-plus crossing would be paid for through tolls but no decision has been made on financing.

TransLink had been hoping a decision on the planned replacement would be made next year.

@diakiw

Surrey North Delta Leader

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘We want to help’: As overdose deaths spike, beds lay empty at long-term Surrey rehab centre

John Volken Academy searching for ‘students’ to enlist in two-year residential treatment program

QUIZ: How much do you know about British Columbia?

On this B.C. Day long weekend, put your knowledge of our province to the test

PHOTOS: B.C. Day long weekend on White Rock beach

Hundreds of families gathered at the beach Sunday

Seeds of Change Surrey to launch two new programs

United Way of the Lower Mainland donated $77,000

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Wildfire breaks out near Harrison Hot Springs

1.5 hectare fire is reportedly human caused

Police lay out details of mental health response in Abbotsford over long weekend

APD officers assist mental health team for three hours yesterday, man sent to hospital with injury

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Fraser Valley Bandits clinch playoff spot with win

Bandits down Niagara River Lions 70-57 on Sunday, improve to 3-2

Most Read